BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Specific AH topic

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #14241  by Polomadh
 16 Jan 2024, 22:54
Hi,
I know the forum doesn’t have huge amounts of traffic, but can we have a specific AH “topic” separate from the general bee chat, so we can easily see any AH chats?

Another great talk from Andrew Durham tonight. I thought some of the questions from attendees were a little off the mark, but I guess some folks are still playing catch up.
 #14243  by Polomadh
 17 Jan 2024, 07:45
I think this should work

https://www.youtube.com/live/i-imBJoVzwY?si=B66GcdGeod2Adbzs
 #14304  by warsaw-hive
 28 Feb 2024, 22:31
A far better video is the one on the 17th of Feb available at https://www.bbka.org.uk/asian-hornet-events . There are several speakers, it's pretty long, so probably best to view it in sessions. The presentations from Nigel Semmence (NBU), Alastair Christie (Jersey) and Jackie Aucott (Dover association) were particularly informative and reassuring. I'd like to thank the Kent beekeepers for the work they've been putting in.

All the speakers highlighted the need to minimise bycatch. For most people that means using wick bait stations or else you have to check traps every day (and have no liquid to drown in). We need a healthy population of wasps and European hornets to out compete any Asian hornets. It is counter productive to kill native species.

I'm not a fan of the Andrew Durham videos. We are not at the stage when beekeepers need to be protecting their hives (with wire mesh, electric harps etc). Nor should the vast majority of UK beekeepers be putting out spring traps.

What I took from Durham's presentation I watched last year, and again from Alastair Christie's presentation, was Asian hornet is a problem/nuisance for everybody, not just beekeepers.
 #14323  by MickBBKA
 29 Mar 2024, 03:19
Interesting to see our local association is selling AH traps to members this week.
This highlights everything I have said about the dads army approach by the APHA, NBU, Government and BBKA.
If any single one of them was serious these would be free of charge to any person wanting them. Don't ever forget when these creatures have over run the UK these people were responsible by their lack of action. Bunch of idiots from day one. I will never tire of saying 'I told you so' in the future. When will we ever have a national organisation with a sensible department..................
 #14325  by AdamD
 03 Apr 2024, 10:47
The association is doing what it can as a small organisation; According to the BBKA magazine, the plan is to eradicate Asian Hornets this year. Arguably, any associations that are within flying distance of previous or ptential Asian Hornets, including most of the country south of London, should be given traps to hand out so the areas are flooded with traps.
 #14346  by B1B2
 18 Apr 2024, 17:55
Today it was reported that Asian Hornets have been seen on ferries crossing the Channel. Which way were they going?
 #14347  by MickBBKA
 19 Apr 2024, 01:33
AdamD wrote:
03 Apr 2024, 10:47
The association is doing what it can as a small organisation; According to the BBKA magazine, the plan is to eradicate Asian Hornets this year. Arguably, any associations that are within flying distance of previous or ptential Asian Hornets, including most of the country south of London, should be given traps to hand out so the areas are flooded with traps.
I bought mine Monday night at our local association meeting despite my apiary being just a mile from the location of last years nest in Yarm.
APHA, NBU Dads Army = FAIL.................
 #14350  by AdamD
 22 Apr 2024, 12:54
Winds from the north for the next few days Mick; not sure if the hornets will get off the ground to get trapped!