BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• How to get rid of the remaining wax?

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #13052  by SuesBees
 15 Aug 2022, 14:46
I have a hive of bees where a collection of bees have taken up residence on the outside of the hive.
I can brush the bees off and scrape away any wax, but how do I get rid of ALL the wax and its smell (to the bees!)
I do have a photo but don't know how to upload it. Any help would be appreciated.
 #13053  by Alfred
 15 Aug 2022, 17:47
Without disruptive chemicals or a blowlamp it's not easy.
Not knowing the full story I would say getting the bees settled where you want them to be is a good first step.
If you have not got spare components to swap out then just try to get the whole lot including the queen inside the box with,assuming she's laying, perhaps a qx on the floor.once she has stated making use of the frames they are unlikely to stray far.
Until springtime.

For pics I use postimages because it's free and I'm a tightwad.
Go to https://postimages.org/
Upload your photo
I use the second link in the list and copy that.
The go back to here and click the Insert picture icon and paste the link between the IMG placeholders.
Its a complete PITA but we have a free forum with no ads so we shouldn't really be moaning.
 #13056  by SuesBees
 15 Aug 2022, 20:31
https://i.postimg.cc/63vc6Bhc/20220814-161005.jpg
Same picture, different way of sending. I'm just experimenting , Alfred, with postimages
 #13057  by Alfred
 16 Aug 2022, 07:19
I wouldn't worry
Just get them inside a box with the queen.
The weather will deal with any remaining scent and any persistent ones will eventually follow in to the hive or die off/get eaten by predators
 #13060  by NigelP
 16 Aug 2022, 08:24

Sue you need to click the image icon on the toolbar (the one to the left of the tear drop shaped one) and click link in between.
It looks like [img] with another bracket tother side of it.

Also to make image's smaller open in windows picture viewer, click on the three dots (top right) and choose the option resize and go for the smallest one, then upload that post link.
 #13061  by Steve 1972
 16 Aug 2022, 18:28
Brush the bees of ..smoke the area scrape the wax of and spray the area with febreze air freshener or air airwick 6 in 1..I do just that a few times every year to clear spots of troublsome bees.
 #13062  by JoJo36
 16 Aug 2022, 19:26
Was going to suggest, brushing and smoking bees off, getting your blowtorch to melt wax briefly and wipe quickly with an old rag, wax gone, little bit of black mark left on wood??!!