BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Sting proof suit recommendations

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #13043  by Yorkbees84
 14 Aug 2022, 14:56
Hi all,
I'm looking into buying a new 'sting proof ' suit (If such a thing really exists but I'll take almost sting proof if not!). Any recommendations that don't cost the earth? I've read lots about BJ sheriff, Natural Apiary, Oz, AGS etc...I'm happy to sacrifice comfort over safety but ventilation is always nice. Has anyone used mesh suits? Thanks.
 #13044  by NigelP
 14 Aug 2022, 15:18
Any of the three layered ventilated suits are pretty bee sting proof. I bought one of these and very pleased with quality etc. In this hot weather they are a boon, although better with a breeze. A snip at £55 including postage.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265153015757?hash=item3dbc59efcd:g:Zg4AAOSwtG9gloGP
The weak point is the face mesh which they can still sting through, although this applies to any type of bee suit.
 #13074  by Steve 1972
 21 Aug 2022, 11:37
I have two Oz armour jackets with fencing veils..I wear a baseball cap to keep the mesh away from my face..they are a pleasure to wear in hot weather..the only downside with them is they are a magnet to barb wire and thorn bushes but if you are careful that is not a problem..also if you use a smoker light it before you put the jacket/suit on..I have a small hole in the first layer of one of mine on the sleeve where a little spark come out of the smoker when lighting it..other than that I love them..the only stings I take are on my legs and hands..but we all need the odd sting to keep our immunity up.. :D