BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• What’s going on?

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #10904  by gwt_uk
 16 May 2021, 21:13
Have been sent a pic by a family member of a hive of mine (apiary is 1.5 hours away) with a cluster of bees hanging from the bottom of the landing board and front of the hive. I last checked them on Thursday but could not do a full inspection because of the low temps. I did see that the Super was filling up nicely and I was going to add another on Tuesday. I too a peek underneath and couldn’t see any queen cells. I would upload a pic but can’t see how to.
 #10905  by Alfred
 17 May 2021, 07:01
How big a cluster?

Photos are a faff,but;

Go to a free hosting site like postimages.org for example
upload your photo
Copy the link they give you
Back to this website
Click the photo icon
Paste the link between the brackets
Preview to test
 #10906  by gwt_uk
 17 May 2021, 07:39
Here you go. Let me know if the pic has worked. They all seem to have gone back into the hive last night.

https://postimg.cc/RJmH1JGW
 #10907  by gwt_uk
 17 May 2021, 07:44
Meant to say. Not a huge cluster but enough to indicate that there might be a queen in the middle of it
 #10908  by AdamD
 17 May 2021, 08:46
Is the queen clipped? If so, my expectation is that they attempted to swarm.
How many frames of brood are there? If the colony has maintained more than, say, 6 or 7 frames of brood for a little while, then there won't be much space for the bees with one super on.

Note: It would be good if people put their location in the forum as it enables others to better offer advice as the weather changes considerable around the country. Users can go into their Account Settings/Profile/Edit Profile/Location; and then enter a county or area.
 #10909  by gwt_uk
 17 May 2021, 09:41
Yes 8 brood frames and one super. The queen wasn’t clipped. The colony was a swarm from last year.
 #10910  by AdamD
 17 May 2021, 13:07
It's said that 1 frame of brood results in 3 frames of bees - so that could mean that the colony is very full of bees.
I have seen a congested nuc swarm leaving no queencells - they just got fed up with a lack of space, I guess!
 #10912  by Alfred
 17 May 2021, 14:53
gwt_uk wrote:
17 May 2021, 07:44
Meant to say. Not a huge cluster but enough to indicate that there might be a queen in the middle of it
Not neccesarily a queen in the cluster(s)
Ive had two swarm attempts so far this month because I was too scared about the weather to get proactive when I should have done..
Both times they changed their minds(weather?),went back inside but left fragmented clumps all around the hive- similar to your photo.

Only got the link btw.

Adam - Ive provided some very honest views about my association in the past- if I disclosed my locale I would definitely not be getting a Christmas card. :cry:

Theres enough metadata in our digital photos to provide coordinates anyway..... :shock: