BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• 2022 Exam Sylabi

• Examinations Questions/Answers & advice for others
Examinations Questions/Answers & advice for others
 #12282  by AdamD
 11 Dec 2021, 09:54
New exam sylabusses (sorry) have been published by the BBKA here.
https://www.bbka.org.uk/modules

I assume having glanced through the 7 modules of 1 - 8 (!) that the additional topics are in bold.

It's very easy to be critical, however to promote discussion here's a couple of comments
1) For module 1 section 1.1 and 1.2, "name the advantages and disadvantages of polystyrene hives compared to wooden ones" might be more relevant rather than a history topic.

2) I have always thought that a topic about dealing with packaged bees (both supplying and receiving) would make sense as it's a good way of supplying bees without the worry of comb diseases.
 #12283  by NigelP
 11 Dec 2021, 11:04
Agreed Adam, at least you now don't have to learn the exact sizes of the frames used in the different hives. A requirement when I took the modules many moons ago. . But I do wonder what they are up to when they say.
"the methods of introducing a new queen to a queenright nucleus and to a large colony;"
Why on earth would you want to introduce a queen to a queenright nuc?
I understand they may be seeking that the candidate knows to first remove the old queen.....but why not say so, as in "methods of replacing a queen in a queen right nuc" rather than give an ambiguous impression that they want you run a 2 queen nuc!
Exams are hard pressurised places for candidates and they deserve to have clear obvious questions or syllabuses to work from.
 #12381  by DianeBees
 16 Jan 2022, 16:01
Do pass on your comments to the exam board. Someone bought it up at the ADM about the history elements being not "honeybee management".
 #12384  by MickBBKA
 17 Jan 2022, 02:28
I haven't found any advantages from having poly hives for the last 4 years. Surely this is my observation and can't be measured for an exam mark, just like Hazel cannot be considered a spring source of pollen in my location. BBKA fails at every chance to be an inclusive national body.
 #12391  by Spike
 19 Jan 2022, 11:25
With the re-vamp, why is there still a 'missing' module?
 #12399  by AdamD
 24 Jan 2022, 16:27
It's been like that for years.
 #12400  by Patrick
 24 Jan 2022, 17:50
AdamD wrote:
24 Jan 2022, 16:27
It's been like that for years.
You could say the same about the Acropolis. When are they finally going to get round to finishing that ? ;)
 #12410  by MickBBKA
 31 Jan 2022, 15:52
They can't, we stole part of it and won't give it back. ;)