BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• K Wing..

• Honeybee pests and diseases.
Honeybee pests and diseases.
 #7769  by Steve 1972
 15 Jun 2020, 20:00
Not had any disease problems so my knowledge on them is pretty basic..
On going through a mongrel colony today that lost its clipped Queen through swarming and then two cast swarms through missed Queen cells..this colony that i think has a virgin in there through their behavior but can i hell find her for love nor money..the colony is small but not too small..however while rooting about for the Queen today i spotted three totally black bald bees that seemed very docile and also around a dozen with K Wing symptoms..
Could anyone help me on a coarse of action and maybe enlighten me on this disease.
Thanks.
Steve.
 #7774  by AdamD
 16 Jun 2020, 08:37
A sign of Chronic Bee Paralysis Virus, rather than having some native dark bees.
http://www.nationalbeeunit.com/index.cfm?pageid=275

A few bees is not too much to worry about. If you see many bees walking away from the hive or dead or dying bees outside the hive then you have cause for concern.
As the colony has diminished in numbers, I would hope (expect) that they will sort themselves out once new bees come along.
 #7779  by Steve 1972
 16 Jun 2020, 10:43
Thank you for that Adam..i have had a read of your link and viewed a video from Stuart the Norfolk Beekeeper on youtube.. from looking at both pieces of information that is exactly what it is and it has me a tad worried..i have three Queens building up quickly in single brood boxes and one could be united over this colony but can i hell find any of the virgin Queen i have running about at the minute..