BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Thymol Recipe..

• Honeybee pests and diseases.
Honeybee pests and diseases.
 #7021  by Steve 1972
 12 May 2020, 11:14
I am sure the good fellow who wrote this in 2008 will not mind me borrowing it..i have used it every Autumn when feeding sugar syrup and i am yet to have any signs of Nosema in any of my colonies..
PS the lecithin is optional..

Okay,will start by saying last spring i tested every colony for nosema, had 20+ colonys with heavy nosema infection,started to treat in the very mild weather in feb, they all responded really well to treatment,some were later given complete comb changes,but not all,later in spring a few more colonys also got nosema that previously tested clear,obviously drinking from the same contaminated water supply that had been crapped over by some of the infected colonys,so every hive in the affected apairys were treated.

Last autumn every full size colony and nuc was fed down with thymolated syrup,this spring have yet to find any signs of nosema in any colony,even weaker one's,and even in the one's that previously had very heavy nosema and had no comb changes,these colonys are in fact boiling over with bee's at the moment and many have had second brood chambers added,some were over wintered on double broods and are incredibly strong,some will be having two nuc's taken from each one very soon. Also as a slight side note i have detected no varroa mites in the vast majority of hives,very very few in some,and no oxalic used at all,reminds me of pre 2002 when i always fed thymolated syrup.

The original recipe is simply 30g of thymol crystals dissolved in 150 of surgical spirit or isopropyl alcohol.........will keep indefinately and you add up to five ml of this per gallon of syrup feed,or if to simply stop fermentation 5ml per 3 gallons.
Problem with the above mixture is the oil tends to float on top of the syrup,obviously some of it is in the entire mix,but not in an equal suspension,so therefore not being stored in the combs as i would like it,and i believe is more effective if emulsified.

If you wish to carry out your own test add 10ml to a bucket containing 2 gallons of syrup,allow to settle,then with a thin tube syphon some surup from the bottom of the bucket into a clean cup,then take some syrup from the top of the bucket into another cup....then smell the difference....taste it..see which one gets you spitting for a few minutes.

Emulsified thymol pre mix.

30g thymol crystals placed in honey jar,add 5ml of isopropyl alcohol to the crystals,place jar into a water bath of boiling water to speed up the dissolving process.
In another jar pour in 140 ml of boiling water and add 1 teaspoon of lecithin granules, stir well,and place this jar into a water bath of boiling water,stirring often for abot ten minutes or so until most of the lecithin granules have dissolved,you can then strain this mixture through a teastrainer or similar to remove any granules that have not dissolved fully,then simply add the dissolved thymol to this mix,and shake well,will look just like a jar of milk.
To use add 5ml to each gallon of syrup and stir well,syrup will go milky,unlike when using the old original mix.
If the mixture forms any crystals at a later date,tip into old small pan and reheat,do this outdoors.
There are also other feed supplements availible such as vita feed,and nosevit ect,i have never tried these so cannot make any comment on them,but i will sure be sticking to what i know works well.

Ps in the past i have on occasion added two teaspoons of the old original mix 10ml per gallon with no ill effects on the bee's at all,but 5ml is plenty.
 #7028  by stechad
 12 May 2020, 11:44
Lol
I guess you just read the same post I did on t'other forum.
 #7031  by NigelP
 12 May 2020, 12:03
That recipe sounds way too complicated.
You don't really need the lecithin.
To make a 1000x stock just dissolve 20g Thymol crystals in 100 ml of Isopropyl alcohol (or similar).
Add 1 ml per liter of sugar solution and I will guarantee you will not get any moulds or bacteria growing in it. I leave 5 litre jerry cans of 1:! syrup with this added in my out apiaries for when I need to feed. It stays there all summer. No problemo.
If you look at the few papers documenting thymols effect on Nosema, non use an emulsifier.
 #7042  by Steve 1972
 12 May 2020, 13:39
I'm glad Lecithin is not needed as it is a right faff on trying to dissolve the stuff..however the dilemma we now face is trying to get isopropyl that is not at extortionate prices..
 #7045  by NigelP
 12 May 2020, 14:08
You can use meths or any type of spirit alcohol to dissolve the thymol.
If you are patient enough just add thymol to water, it is water soluble, but not very much.
 #7051  by Steve 1972
 12 May 2020, 15:32
Patrick wrote:
12 May 2020, 15:26
Vodka works fine.

And with thymol crystals as well :lol:
With Orange or Coke.. :roll:
 #7061  by Murox
 12 May 2020, 16:52
Patrick wrote:
12 May 2020, 15:26
Vodka works fine.

And with thymol crystals as well :lol:
So does surgical spirit, cheaper than Vodka but as much fun.
 #7068  by NigelP
 12 May 2020, 17:38
Murox wrote:
You Scots....LOL.
 #7069  by Murox
 12 May 2020, 17:43
NigelP wrote:
12 May 2020, 17:38
Murox wrote:
You Scots....LOL.
Just saw the typo - should have read NOT as much fun. Ah well.