BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• The importance of spring mite loads

• Honeybee pests and diseases.
Honeybee pests and diseases.
 #13481  by AdamD
 16 Mar 2023, 09:38
The Bee Informed Partnership has recently posted this relating to varroa mites, which might be of interest to some.

https://beeinformed.org/2023/03/01/the-importance-of-spring-mite-loads/
 #13483  by NigelP
 16 Mar 2023, 21:38
Interesting Adam. Would be worth more if they suggested specific treatments for spring mite treatment rather than the catch all "recommend that everyone manage mites in the spring to keep mite level from getting too high in the summer". Bit like the generic advice to requeen aggressive hives but no details as to how to do it.

Checked several drop boards that have been in my hives for months and struggling to find any varroa. Reckon autumn treatment here was succesfull.
 #13485  by AdamD
 19 Mar 2023, 09:22
The graph would indicate to treat in November in order to get the lowest mite load in December and beyond, but we know that by that time, a high mite infestation could have killed the colony. It is true that as mite numbers increase later in summer and brood-rearing reduces, the mite load - the proportion of mites to bees - increases rapidly which is when the real problems arrise.

Nigel, do you vasalene your mite boards to trap the mites for easier counting?
 #13486  by NigelP
 19 Mar 2023, 16:28
No I don't use anything on them as thye become difficult to clean. I only use drop counts as a rought estimater of mites infestation and check drops of dead varroa during and after treatments. Current check on boards thta have been in all winter show very few mites present on them....an encouraging sign.
 #13489  by Alfred
 20 Mar 2023, 08:47
The graph is that of Prof Evans -the Apiarist.
It intimates to me to treat hard after the honey is off before the mites have a crack at the winter bees.
I am actually pondering a quick vape now to hit the few that are there before they get chance.
I posed the question a few years ago here and was snarled down for "asking the wrong question"
Ahh, Andrew LD what ever happened to him... ;)
 #13491  by NigelP
 20 Mar 2023, 10:19
Over treatment is better then under treatment Alfred any day.
I would be doing the same if I found any boards with lots of varroa....but (touch wood) everything seems fine at the moment. Possibly because I live in an isolated area there is no other major source or influx of varroa, except my own bees.
 #13492  by Alfred
 20 Mar 2023, 13:14
Its similar here with only one other (thankfully responsible)keeper within foraging distance.
But a quick few doses won't do any harm at all.
Adams article matches the graphs authors mantra of kick them when they're down.