BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Forage , what's flowering in your area?

• Bee's Need Flowers...… whats more to say?
Bee's Need Flowers...… whats more to say?
 #9774  by MickBBKA
 11 Jan 2021, 02:15
Chrisbarlow wrote:
10 Jan 2021, 18:06
Cricket Mick. Hawthorne already! R u Manchester based?
Ha, no, Teesside. I have taken very good notice of the local forage since I started beekeeping 8 years ago. My first winter the Hazel flowered late Jan early Feb, I actually had an argument with my Basic assessor when I refused to consider it a Spring source of pollen. Each year since it has progressively flowered earlier. This winter it was in flower week before Christmas. Now the Hawthorn is starting to flower much earlier. Although it is very far from being in true flower I can't see it making it past March before it is. The Hazel and Alder is more or less in full flower now but has been destroyed by the frosts in the last 2 weeks. Its a local thing. We get very mild winters here but that is followed by freezing springs. Last May 2nd week we had the coldest night I had recorded for 29 months. My bees make all their honey in a 6-8 week period between late April and early June depending on the winds. One thing I have found being a regular at our local honey shows is that I never now get any honey capable of winning in the light honey class. My spring honey is now very dark, however it tends to win the blind taste test :D The bees must be visiting completely different plants to what they were 4 or 5 years ago. I think thats because they don't get chance to forage on the traditional spring plants, they flower too early now. Local snowdrops are starting to fall over and Daffs almost in flower. Warm winters, cold springs and wet summer = TEESSIDE.... :roll:
 #9924  by Steve 1972
 30 Jan 2021, 19:47
The Snowdrops are in flower at my at my Alnwick Apiary and the Daff's are just pushing through..weather dependent mid March is usually a bounty for the bees,,BUT we will see.. :roll:
 #10004  by Steve 1972
 15 Feb 2021, 14:18
It's glorious out there today and the bees are everywhere..this picture was taken exactly one year ago today and the same is happening now with bees getting pollen from the crocus..not as many are in flower yet as last year but it is a good sight all the same..

#10005  by MickBBKA
 16 Feb 2021, 01:00
Bees flying very well today here in Billingham for a good 4 hours but never saw a single basket of pollen. Hazel is just about done as its going brown, snowdrops half done, nothing else in flower, not a crocus in sight but then the snow only left today after 2 weeks.
 #10226  by Patrick
 14 Mar 2021, 11:40
Wow, what a great idea. Underrated plant gorse - like bramble, often suffers from our modern war on scrub and obsession with a tidy neat and lifeless countryside.
 #10230  by Steve 1972
 14 Mar 2021, 17:37
Alfred wrote:
14 Mar 2021, 11:35
I grew a gorse hedge from seed that I'd harvested.It's now in its third year and bees all over it this morning
It was all worth it!
I have been told from a very well known comercial beekeeper and breeder of good Queens near Dartmoor that gorse pollen is about the best you can get..I wonder why I have also been growing gorse seeds.. :roll: .