BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• What have you done today bee-related?

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #9434  by Patrick
 07 Nov 2020, 17:58
Bad luck Adam, that is a gutter.

Unless you keep your bees in the garden and can constantly watch them, if wasps do become a problem it can all be over before you know it. I suppose it’s just part of beekeeping. If it was easy, everyone would do it.

I removed my English feeders full of the last of the wax cappings this afternoon and shook out any remaining bees. Had left them on longer than intended but interestingly the bees had cleaned them off but not bothered to rework the wax into sculptures as they sometimes do if you leave on too long earlier in the autumn. One to remember maybe - but of course the next year I only put on late it will be freezing cold, they will be clustered and they will totally ignore them... :roll:

Another nice fermenting bin of wax to melt down, a process I find particularly satisfying. Although I am less good at finding an end use for the wax apart from for foundation swaps.
 #9443  by AdamD
 09 Nov 2020, 10:59
I sold 3 kg to someone who wanted the wax to make candles for Christmas presents - might be a way of getting rid of some?
On eBay local wax goes for about £9/kg.
(Thornes will pay £3.50 per kg against goods sold or £2.25 as a straight purchase).
 #9446  by Steve 1972
 09 Nov 2020, 18:00
To me wax is hard earned once filtered twice and formed into nice little 1kg blocks..after all the faff on getting it to that stage i would rather throw it in the bin than take such a feeble price for it..
My plan this year with what wax i have accumulated is to have a go at making super foundation..I have everything i need to try it but no time to do it..when i hopfully succed i will fire some pictures and my methods on here..
 #9447  by NigelP
 09 Nov 2020, 18:53
I sell 1oz blocks at £1.50 each (Just under £53/kg). I reckon that's a fair price :D
Still end up with more wax than can be sold... That is where the problem lies.
 #9449  by Chrisbarlow
 09 Nov 2020, 21:41
Spike wrote:
09 Nov 2020, 20:53
NigelP wrote:
09 Nov 2020, 18:53
I sell 1oz blocks at £1.50 each (Just under £53/kg).
Seems like a plan!
I sell Mine at £2 per ounce block
 #9457  by NigelP
 11 Nov 2020, 13:30
That's a good price Chris.
Alas I can never sell ALL my beeswax at that price. Much goes into foundation exchanges.

On a Beekeeping note checked 2 late walk away nucs at an out apiary both have literally walked away with no bees or stores present in either. Damn.......I need nucs for this coming spring
 #9459  by Patrick
 11 Nov 2020, 14:58
The wax Conversion rate is a lot better deal than the Straight Swap. Depending on your foundation type against retail cost of the foundation it values the wax from £6 to £9/lb, which is about double the straight swap value.

Do you reckon they absconded, queen failure or got robbed out Nigel? Or a combination? Such a let down.

Just checked at lunchtime a nuc I had put fondant block in a bag over the feedhole a week ago. About 0.5kg gone already. They had a kg straight over the top bars beforehand and that went in a week. They put on weight on the ivy too so fingers crossed..
 #9461  by NigelP
 11 Nov 2020, 17:15
Suspect queens failed to mate (it was late), then dwindling bee numbers followed by robbery for resources.
Matters not what order....they are all no more.
 #9465  by Chrisbarlow
 11 Nov 2020, 21:23
NigelP wrote:
11 Nov 2020, 13:30
That's a good price Chris.
Alas I can never sell ALL my beeswax at that price. Much goes into foundation exchanges.
same here, I find maisemores are better priced than thornes, but its getting down to see em.