BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• What have you done today bee-related?

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #8671  by AdamD
 29 Aug 2020, 12:21
Another 6 extracted supers came out of the freezer and have been taken for storage for the winter; they are stacked up with cardboard between each three supers so if wax moth does get in, it should be restricted to a small section.

The freezer means that I don't usually need to use sulphur strips. One time I used them I had a crown board above with a rhombus escape fixed to it. I melted the escape. :(
 #8675  by Steve 1972
 29 Aug 2020, 18:06
AdamD wrote:
Another 6 extracted supers came out of the freezer and have been taken for storage for the winter; they are stacked up with cardboard between each three supers so if wax moth does get in, it should be restricted to a small section.
That's a cracking idea Adam and i have sort of copied your idea..not with card board though..
With being a Scaffolder i have access to all kinds of heavy duty materials and one such material is Monoflex..it is reinforced sheeting system that is used on many jobs to sheet the scaffold as and when required..i happen to have a 6ft roll of the stuff ..with it being wired with string that is in straight lines it is easy to cut straight so i cut a pile of 19in square pieces earlier to go above every super..i have a fair amount to come in so after each stack has had the sulpher burner above them for a few hours each one will be sealed as i do not want to waste any drawn super frames if i can help it..
Here is a picture of the sheet i am using if you can get hold of any..

#8677  by NigelP
 29 Aug 2020, 18:49
AdamD wrote:

The freezer means that I don't usually need to use sulphur strips. One time I used them I had a crown board above with a rhombus escape fixed to it. I melted the escape. :(
I think you hit the nail on the head there Adam..."stopping wax moth getting in"....Sterilise and seal and fingers crossed. Freezer/Sulphur dioxide/etc . Bloody hell Adam a freezer that can take 6 supers!!!
Me thinks storage outdoors is colder and less preferable to wax moth encouragement...although storage outdoors does seem to involve having surplus roofs and also winter temps in different regions will have an effect.

Love Steve's scaffolding membrane, thinking for us less well connected that perhaps the black weed suppressing membrane may be a more affordable solution for separating stored supers/brood boxes...
I
 #8698  by Chrisbarlow
 31 Aug 2020, 21:04
Opened up 10 mini mating nucs with I hope virgin queens inside... Fingers crossed it's not to late