BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Selling Price for Honey

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #7952  by JohnB
 25 Jun 2020, 14:09
In my second year and I have some surplus honey to sell at my garden gate. All in 1lb jars and labelled correctly. The question is, what’s the going rate. I don’t have anyone locally selling so nothing to compare with although a few people have suggested £6 per 1lb jar. I appreciate there are lots of variable including location. I’m in Suffolk. Any suggestions welcome.
 #7953  by Chrisbarlow
 25 Jun 2020, 14:40
I'm Leeds, Yorkshire and I sell it at £5 for 12oz. I do think I'm a little cheap these days though.

A friend is currently selling 4oz at £3. Well done to him.
 #7957  by AndrewLD
 25 Jun 2020, 17:34
I am in Cambridgeshire and see honey on stalls at markets including Bury St Edmunds. I sell at a local market and at shows. Tried £6 for 1lb and went back to £5.
Lots would argue not to under-value your honey but £5 seems to sell and £6 is a struggle, especially if you are not there to promote the product.
 #7958  by Patrick
 25 Jun 2020, 18:46
Call me Maynard Keynes )actually don’t) but it’s worth what people will pay. Around here we do have a lot of beekeepers so it’s readily available.

Average price is about 5 -6 lb a jar tho many sell in 12 oz jars so generate a better rate. I like people to feel they got a deal and come back for more, which they usually do.

My sister in law in London tells me that they can get £11 a pound. But they do tell the streets are paved with gold up there..
 #7961  by NigelP
 25 Jun 2020, 19:11
I go with £5 for 12 oz jars. and heather honey at £5 in 8 oz jars. £6 seems to be a psychological sticking point.
But as you are in Suffolk try £7 per lb and see if it sells. You can always reduce price if it doesn't
 #7963  by AndrewLD
 25 Jun 2020, 20:50
NigelP wrote:
25 Jun 2020, 19:11
I go with £5 for 12 oz jars. and heather honey at £5 in 8 oz jars. £6 seems to be a psychological sticking point.
But as you are in Suffolk try £7 per lb and see if it sells. You can always reduce price if it doesn't
Ah - Nigel's thinking of Aldeburgh and Southwold - that Suffolk. Otherwise £7 for 1lb :lol: :lol:
 #7964  by Cable_Fairy
 25 Jun 2020, 20:54
Looked in the local butchers this afternoon and it was £5.50, I know a keeper in Sheffield who sells to shops for £5 and they add their profit
 #7977  by AdamD
 26 Jun 2020, 14:47
Southwold will almost definitely command a higher price than a quiet road in rural Suffolk. If you are happy with a fiver and the honey goes steadily, and runs out, you will have customers waiting for more next year. If you sell it for £6 and it hangs around all year it might be a bit of a pain to manage - unless you have other stuff you are selling as well.

From my experience, sales will increase over time as word of mouth spreads the good news.
 #7981  by Chrisbarlow
 26 Jun 2020, 15:31
On an FB post I've been reading a chap in Manchester is selling 8oz at a fiver. He states it goes no problem at all. He sells a pound jar for nine quid

I agree about a fiver being a stopping point

Instead of increasing the price, decrease the weight
 #8003  by Steve 1972
 27 Jun 2020, 10:08
I sell 12oz jars for £4.50 but 90% of the folk buying it give me £5 and say keep the change..if i am selling it in bulk to a shop of 20+ jars i drop the price to £4 per 12oz jar..