BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Should we be picking up swarms this year?

• REPORT A SWARM FOR LOCAL BEEKEEPERS.
REPORT A SWARM FOR LOCAL BEEKEEPERS.
 #6055  by Chrisbarlow
 24 Mar 2020, 20:35
What are people's thought on whether we should be picking up swarms this year or not?
 #6056  by Patrick
 24 Mar 2020, 20:52
Good question Chris. Think we could be in a quite different position in 6 weeks time.

Most swarm collections do not necessarily involve interactions directly with others but that may not be the point.
 #6058  by Chrisbarlow
 24 Mar 2020, 21:14
I think In 3 weeks we could be in a very bad situation, 6 weeks could be far worse. Time will tell
 #6066  by Patrick
 25 Mar 2020, 09:33
Precisely Chris. We will (if not already doing so) be risk assessing all these things for ourselves rather than just working within Govt guidance I suspect.

Swarms in open countryside (which are likely not to be being reported) may be a different proposition to those in built up areas.
 #6069  by AndrewLD
 25 Mar 2020, 10:04
I am not on the BBKA list but will respond to in-village calls so better to think this through now than when put on-the-spot.
The risk is from people directly and indirectly if you touch objects that infected people have touched and then put your hands to your mouth or eyes.
You are not going to catch it over the telephone and I am not answering the door to anyone, any conversation is going to be from an upstairs window.
If I am going to go to a swarm then the rule is surely simple - access has to be open, no people anywhere near me, wear nitrile gloves and dispose of them afterwards. If they don't follow the rules, turn round and leave them to it.
 #6070  by Japey Edge
 25 Mar 2020, 11:14
I'm game for collecting swarms but my terms are pretty much the same as Andrew's.

I enjoyed collecting that basketball sized swarm last year and I'm keen on doing it again. Communicate through phone or one of the many messaging services. All access open and leave you to it.

I know it's almost impossible to avoid touching your face, but you somehow manage it perfectly when you have nitrile gloves on and a veil (aside from using my wrist to scratch my nose).
 #6075  by AndrewLD
 25 Mar 2020, 19:04
OK, so the definitive guidance is now out from Defra & devolved administrations, and has been sent to registered beekeepers by e-mail.
Want to know what it says? Then register :o
 #6076  by Chrisbarlow
 25 Mar 2020, 20:00
AndrewLD wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 19:04
OK, so the definitive guidance is now out from Defra & devolved administrations, and has been sent to registered beekeepers by e-mail.
Want to know what it says? Then register :o
:D :D :D :D
 #6079  by AdamD
 26 Mar 2020, 09:13
Chrisbarlow wrote:
24 Mar 2020, 21:14
I think In 3 weeks we could be in a very bad situation, 6 weeks could be far worse. Time will tell
Thanks for your positive outlook Chris! :) :lol:

I cannot see a problem collecting swarms if we keep our distance from people and they do as we ask (most do).
 #6142  by DianeBees
 02 Apr 2020, 11:51
I have found that most calls are from people with bumblebees they desperately want removing. Occasionally wasps later in the season when they notice them.

We have bird boxes near our lounge window and we're back to blue tits this year, after having bumblebees last year.

Social distancing is important, but maybe those who collect with someone from another household will be more hampered.
As always stay safe and do not attempt anything which might land you in A&E. That applies every year, not just this one.