BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• plywood alternative

• Bee Hive building & a place to share howto's on equipment
Bee Hive building & a place to share howto's on equipment
 #5170  by Alfred
 11 Nov 2019, 14:38
The bitter half has been strongly hinting on a bathroom refurb,so I obliged her to a shuffle around Wickes this morning.
Should get me off the hook for another 18months or so.

I did notice some boards of " tile foundation" though.
They are 1200x600 X 8mm (ish) thick,and a comparable price to equivalent timber product.
There's a layer of high density pu foam finished on both sides with a thin sheet of slate-like resin.
It handles just like ply and can apparently be cut with a Stanley knife.Insulation and moisture resistance are the bonus points.

Immediate thoughts of uses were for WBC boxes (sorry Bathroom Walls),bait hives,nucs,roof panels,crown boards,Omf boards,....
Has anyone seen them used for these more noble tasks?
 #5185  by AdamD
 13 Nov 2019, 08:52
Seems like an interesting product - you'd have to close off the cut end, I guess. I wonder whether it would be durable enough.

For me, I have some ply boxes where they are de-laminating or a couple where the outer veneer has completely come off. I tend to keep my few plywood boxes as emergency or summer only boxes for this reason. I have a couple of nucs that I made from light wooden shelving I purchased from one of the DIY sheds. They were treated with clear wood preservative initially and then stained and they are still good and of similar vintage to the plywood. Second hand or 'seconds' cedar boxes are quite cheap and would still be my preference for a non-poly box.
 #5195  by Alfred
 14 Nov 2019, 14:07
I suppose any board product will need the ends sealing.
I made some bait hives back in the spring out of chipboard of all things.
I sealed the cut edges with everbuild D4 waterproof wood glue.
They are still outside and show no signs yet of weetabix-ing.....