BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Entrances, Defending & General Stuff

• Beginners forum, ask beekeeping related questions and get help from other experienced beekeepers. Please use the Search Feature please to avoid duplicated threads
Beginners forum, ask beekeeping related questions and get help from other experienced beekeepers. Please use the Search Feature please to avoid duplicated threads
 #3824  by Japey Edge
 28 Jun 2019, 11:28
Hi all,

Just following on a conversation with Patrick in another thread, I thought I'd post my hive entrances up on here for general information/comment and ask a couple of questions at the same time.

I have four hives, of varying sizes:
1. Abelo Poly Hive (50% colony strength)
2. Wooden Nuc (15% colony strength)
3. Maisemore 6 Frame Nuc (40% colony strength)
4. Mini mating hive

The percentages are a guess, just to give an indication. Here are the entrances, in the same order:

Mini mating hive is a video: - https://1drv.ms/v/s!Av81dIXQWFUjnGsIdDfmTlYm-i-M

So... If anyone sees anything alarming at this point let me know. I'm at work at the moment but my wife sent me this, noticing a difference in one particular bee:

Is this just a bit of "interest" which determines whether they report back to their colony if it's worth robbing or not?

Whatever the case they're going to have to wait a few hours for a remedy if needed.
 #3825  by Chrisbarlow
 28 Jun 2019, 13:25
Every thing looks fine to me
 #3826  by Japey Edge
 28 Jun 2019, 13:40
Cheers Chris. My wife said they were all headbutting the bee that was circled.

From the photos and videos I didn't think there was much wrong but I guess it's always best to ask :-)

Looking forward to getting home, cracking open a beer and watching the bees 8-)
 #3828  by Patrick
 28 Jun 2019, 14:36
It’s quite common to find odd bees in a colony with different markings. I assumed it was due to multiple drone matings by the queen but may also be drifting workers. Or as you say, attempts at robbing. They are sometimes black and shiny bees. You
 #3835  by Alfred
 28 Jun 2019, 19:59
If you're having a worry(sounds just like me)
You could temporarily just jam a piece of car sponge in the entrance to close it down a bit while you engineer your perspex solution.
They like sipping dew from it too...
The poly nuc disk could be dialled in a bit more if it's a concern.
Theres a lot of internet forum chatter and YouTube on antirobbing guards.
The subject is alittle like the bamboo skewers thing - the old hands who've been round the block more than once seem to just wryly smile and let us find out for ourselves
You know who you are..... ;)
 #3837  by NigelP
 28 Jun 2019, 20:30
Robbing (if it happens) is usually when there is a dearth of nectar...we are (or should be) hitting the major summer nectar flow. When that's over..... then you can put your worry hats back on :lol:
 #3838  by Japey Edge
 28 Jun 2019, 20:57
Yeah I'm not too worried - just trying to get a feel for what's normal vs what isn't.
Had a barbecue tonight and watched the bees and they all seemed very happy