BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Glove stinging

• Beginners forum, ask beekeeping related questions and get help from other experienced beekeepers. Please use the Search Feature please to avoid duplicated threads
Beginners forum, ask beekeeping related questions and get help from other experienced beekeepers. Please use the Search Feature please to avoid duplicated threads
 #13994  by AdamD
 20 Aug 2023, 20:43
I hae been doing my mentoring bit with a new beekeeper watching what I am doing and helping out. He's doing fine.
For many of us, there are still penty of bees in hives and there's not much for them to do so they can cause trouble if lightly occupied so my lively lot took a dislike to my assistant on Saturday. I was fine, no attempted stings, but they seemed to object to his new leather gloves, which took quite a few stings around the wrists.
He said that he is not confident enough yet for nitrile ones, which I understand, although the irony of it is that it's those leather glauntlets that the bees went for!

Why would they want to have a go at his gloves?

(I will try him with nitrile gloves and min-nucs next time, if I can persuade him to have a go).
 #13995  by NigelP
 21 Aug 2023, 08:23
Its to do with the way bees sting. Their legs need to grip onto something so as they can physically insert their sting. No grip and their sting is difficult to insert into anything. They find if very difficult to get a grip on nitryle gloves, hence less stings.
Also on leather you can get many unnoticed stings wafting alarm pheromone around attracting even more bees to them. On nitryle the odd sting is felt and removed so this is rarley an issue.
 #13998  by Alfred
 21 Aug 2023, 11:46
If its a leap from leather to nitrile do the halfway with Marigolds.
Best not the black ones though.......
 #14001  by AdamD
 22 Aug 2023, 08:59
I did suggest that - start off with thick Marigolds and then move over to cheap washing-up gloves which are thinner.