BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Zero maintenance bee keeping

• Beginners forum, ask beekeeping related questions and get help from other experienced beekeepers. Please use the Search Feature please to avoid duplicated threads
Beginners forum, ask beekeeping related questions and get help from other experienced beekeepers. Please use the Search Feature please to avoid duplicated threads
 #7381  by Doug
 25 May 2020, 15:48
Hi guys,

I'm keen to help bees and have the space for a hive (or two) but not fussed about collecting honey and I'm wondering if it's possible to just to have hives and leave the bees to it. I don't want to embark on something that needs all the kit but equally don't want to set the bees up to fail.

So, if I put in a couple of hives (I have an acre - part garden/part woodland) will bees just move in?

Can I adopt some bees?

Can I just let them do their thing?

Thanks.

Doug
 #7382  by Alfred
 25 May 2020, 16:06
Read up on bait hives - there's still time to catch a swarm but why not approach your local affiliate BKA
and offer the site as an out apiary.
The member will be registered and therefore likely to be responsible and indeed grateful of the facility.
You get the joy of watching bees and they get stung - it's a win / win ......
You could just as easily do it yourself and as you say ,leave them to it ,but the unnatural act of making bees live in boxes brings consequences which have to be managed -the colony can suffer as a result.
It is often done under the title of "natural beekeeping" where the person's efforts at swarm control have all failed :D
 #7383  by NigelP
 25 May 2020, 19:07
Agree with Alfred hear, no such thing as "leave alone beekeeping". Unless you are so irresponsible that you are happy to let them swarm frequently and not treat for diseases , like varroa. In current climes bees need a certain amount of management to thrive, so getting someone else to place (and manage) their hives on your patch would be a preferable solution.
You can even claim your traditional annual rent of a jar of honey per hive, no st(r)ings attached.
 #7385  by Doug
 25 May 2020, 19:16
Thanks Alfred,

I appreciate the response and advice. I'll look into hosting with someone else managing the bees.

Best,

Doug
 #7388  by Japey Edge
 25 May 2020, 19:50
Whereabouts are you Doug? If you go on Google maps and search "beekeeping association" something should come up.
If you find the name, see if they have a Facebook group and send it a message. Or see if they have a website and send them a message.
If you are in County Durham you might well have me bringing some hives along. ;-)

It's a very nice thing you're doing and it's clear your intentions are right. Unfortunately it seems honey bees can't live on their own in the wild for long periods of time. No doubt you'd be devastated if, years down the line, you went to check and it was silent - opening up to find a mess of dead bees.