BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Forage , what's flowering in your area?

• Bee's Need Flowers...… whats more to say?
Bee's Need Flowers...… whats more to say?
 #6557  by Steve 1972
 19 Apr 2020, 08:37
The wild cherry trees and black thorn are starting to flower but the north easterly wind is not allowing temps to rise above 11C so of little use to the bees for now.
 #6558  by Alfred
 19 Apr 2020, 13:09
I'm seeing gorse pollen by the kilo.
Just about everything is in bloom- except the hawthorn.
By some premonition I planted a hedge three years ago ,before these pesky insects took over my very existence.
It would be great if its now mature enough to flower this year.
 #6587  by MickBBKA
 20 Apr 2020, 01:53
Alfred wrote:
19 Apr 2020, 13:09
I'm seeing gorse pollen by the kilo.
Just about everything is in bloom- except the hawthorn.
By some premonition I planted a hedge three years ago ,before these pesky insects took over my very existence.
It would be great if its now mature enough to flower this year.
Gorse flowers 12 months of the year, Hawthorn broke out in flower yesterday here but the bees very rarely get to use it no matter what the weather.
What I have noticed this year is that the bees are not touching the Dandelion which is odd. But its that kind of year. My bees make almost all of their crop in May for the year, but I have no idea what will be left by then, almost everything is done flowering. Just the big trees and aphids left to come.
 #6687  by Chrisbarlow
 24 Apr 2020, 20:03
MickBBKA wrote:
24 Apr 2020, 19:32
Hawthorn, Bluebells, Horse Chestnut and Elder all flowering now. I reckon the June gap will start about the 10th May here :(

I have bluebells out as well. Not noticed any conker trees though. Must pay more attention
 #6817  by NigelP
 02 May 2020, 12:51
Woods full of flowering Bluebells and Wild garlic, roadside verges full of Dandelions and not a bee can be seen on any of them. My black currant bushes however are full of bees.

#6852  by Chrisbarlow
 04 May 2020, 16:15
Now I'm looking, lots of Conker's are out.

I've seen many OSR fields that look like they're coming to an end. OSR seems to be finishing Early