BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Heater Honey Wrmer Needed.

• General Chat about Gardens & Flowers
General Chat about Gardens & Flowers
 #8354  by Steve 1972
 29 Jul 2020, 21:47
Hello again chaps.. i need a heat source that will reach 60.C safely ..i am currently using a paint stripper 2000w gun but it is unsafe and melting the inside of my honey warming cabinet which is becoming a fire hazard...any ideas and alternatives welcome.
 #8355  by Liam
 29 Jul 2020, 22:12
The home made warming cabinets I see use radiator reflective insulation backing and light bulbs. I guess that gets it hot enough?. Maybe could add some heat regulator or a Thermostatic Tubular Heater, like the greenhouse bench ones.
 #8361  by AdamD
 30 Jul 2020, 14:03
I use a fridge as my honey warmer with a slow cooker inside. At the lowest setting (of 3) the fridge will get to the temperature you want. There's a hole through the side near the bottom for the cable for the slow cooker. There is another hold through the side near the top which has the copper tube and sensor from a water heater thermostat (Burco type water boiler) which is screwed to the outside of the fridge.
 #8362  by Patrick
 30 Jul 2020, 15:55
Its a perennal problem that has many answers but i made a simple purpose built plywood cabinet which is insulated with polystyrene sheets. i say purpose built in that it is sized to take 2 x 30lb buckets or one 65lb bucket. Kingspan might have been better with hindsight.

Heat is provided by an Ecostat graduated 100 egg incubator themostat to heating element cables (also provided by Ecostat) mounted above the floor of the cabinet. The buckets sit on a simple "stool" placed in the bottom of the cabinet but providing plenty of airpsace so it doesn't overheat at the bottom of the bucket. The thermostat needs the dial calibrating depending on your cabinet. I hitch the thermocouple sensor at the top of the cabinet so it picks up the warmest air. Arguably it should have an inbuilt fan. And en-suite toilet.

i have had the current set up years but just had to replace the thermostat unit (which was £44 plus delivery) by calling up Ecostat yesterday, as the puppy chewed through the cables. Mercifully the puppy was unharmed but can't say the same for thermostat.

Like you Steve, I am concerned about fire risk as i leave it unattended for long periods and I ain't no Sparks. I am happy that someone who is puts the right bits and bobs together has overseen the job.
 #8365  by NigelP
 30 Jul 2020, 17:24
My original melter still has a pair of 100 watt light bulbs...but my new singing all dancing multifunctional melliflo has what looks like cooker elements with a fan blowing through them. It can generate 100C+ if required. Cooker elements are around 12 quid, add in a fan and a thermostat and bobs your auntie. But be careful with the wiring if you go that route. Ceramic heater elements might be another way to go.
 #8366  by Steve 1972
 30 Jul 2020, 17:42
Thank you all kindly for your suggestions..all are excellent but i am going to give Adam's slow cooker a try..the reason being i have one here that never gets used and it is only 189watt..i can cut the plug of and wire it through a connector block to my STC1000 thermostat..
Cheers.
Steve..
 #8370  by Chrisbarlow
 31 Jul 2020, 13:09
NigelP wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 17:24
My original melter still has a pair of 100 watt light bulbs...but my new singing all dancing multifunctional melliflo has what looks like cooker elements with a fan blowing through them. It can generate 100C+ if required. Cooker elements are around 12 quid, add in a fan and a thermostat and bobs your auntie. But be careful with the wiring if you go that route. Ceramic heater elements might be another way to go.
I have the Carl fritz honey wax liquifier that doubles as a warning cabinet.. same thing in there

https://wilara.lt/en/parduotuve/mini-cappings-wax-melter-carl-fritz/