BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Swarm calls

• REPORT A SWARM FOR LOCAL BEEKEEPERS.
REPORT A SWARM FOR LOCAL BEEKEEPERS.
 #13751  by MickBBKA
 29 May 2023, 01:46
Swarms are great for drawing comb, then I kill the queens and replace or unite with my own bees. I really do disagree with our association and members giving swarms to new keepers and those that find numerous swarm cells making up nucs to give away. All this does is increase the number of swarmy bees. I only make nucs up from colonies I have to force to make queen cells. But this year looking back at last years records I have been as much as 6 weeks later doing first inspections. My use of pollen subs has allowed the bees to grow very well despite the freezing wet spring but judging space has been very difficult, until the last 2 weeks I hadn't done an inspection above 12c and I personally do very much believe that space is a very important factor in swarm prevention. Last year I only had 2 colonies swarm, this year its tripled but no forage all spring then 2 weeks of flow they have filled every cell available with pollen or nectar and queens have been shut down for space and to make things worse I have restricted supers to make them cap the honey as every farmer is growing OSR this year and every colony is rammed with bees. LOL...Never 2 years the same. 11 years in and I still don't know what I am doing... :lol:
 #13752  by Alfred
 29 May 2023, 07:56
Similar this year for me I went double brood and honey super very early.I can barely lift most of the Brood boxes now and there's very few dry cells.
I've taken out some clogged frames and put in foundation (ended up having to buy more last week) with the hope that they might burn off some stores drawing it but the new frames are being filled in the process.
This afternoon I will be doing some foundationless super frames as they've filled all my drawn comb,and drawn the pack of foundation I bought as an emergency.
Hate to say it but here's hoping for June Gap....
The only ones that haven't tried to swarm are the '22 buckfasts.
 #13753  by JoJo36
 30 May 2023, 06:28
I've run out of supers and used a brood box with u/d comb as a super on one of my hives!
However, i still have a weak colony which is slow and frames have mostly older comb so thinking of murdering the queen there and shaking out the bees to go in other hives and find new homes!!
Interesting re foundation less frames Alfred, do you find the bees make a mess of building up the comb making it difficult to take out?! Never really put in foundation less frames in mine, but it would save on the wax foundation??!! :?:
 #13754  by AdamD
 30 May 2023, 09:06
The BBC has reported that it's a swarmy season this year. Not sure if this year is any better or worse than other at the moment although with OSR around (just finishing), colonies are full.
 #13755  by Alfred
 30 May 2023, 10:09
I've made up a set of dummy boards to go inbetween each of the foundationless frames in the super.
They do the combs nice and flat then
Once they've drawn them to the bottom bars I take out the dummies and use wide plastic spacers(until I've lost enough of them to be able to do it by eye....)
I've had one foundationless blow in the extractor but that wasn't fully drawn so shouldn't have gone in there.
The only other fatalities have been wired foundation.
 #13756  by NigelP
 30 May 2023, 11:03
AdamD wrote:
30 May 2023, 09:06
The BBC has reported that it's a swarmy season this year. Not sure if this year is any better or worse than other at the moment although with OSR around (just finishing), colonies are full.
Well I'm having a "swarmy season". Usually my home bred queens (F1's) swarm in their second full season.....not this year. It’s all bar non. The only non swarmers have been imported queens. Fortunately at the stage where I'm putting a few back together as had to make some very crude snelgrove boards.
It’s been a good opportunity to requeen some hives although I missed a queen cell in one of "bad girl" hives and she will be an F4....which could mean trouble.
The swarm of local bees I picked up is starting to show its true colours and needs requeening.
 #13757  by JoJo36
 30 May 2023, 16:25
I decided to rejoin a snelgrove 2 and had the last years yellow queen in top box and red (no eggs) queen in bottom box, caught her in my clip! All put back together and the queen ready to be murdered escaped and flew back to the entrance where nice yellow queen is on double brood!!! :o
I took all part again and checked both brood boxes 3 times and didn't see my 'waster' red queen only nice yellow!
Hoping red doesn't murder yellow overnight!! :shock:
 #13758  by Cable_Fairy
 30 May 2023, 20:22
Knock on my door Sunday afternoon, your bees swarmed yesterday, and they are camped out 50 yards in the wood which boarders my property. He showed me where they were covering an area of 2 square yards and up a small sapling. I collected as many as I could in about three hours in two correx box's. Went back this afternoon and there is another box full still on the ground in a very small area. I am running out of spares! I should note that I checked all my hives this morning and nothing is missing.
 #13759  by JoJo36
 31 May 2023, 08:02
Thanks Alfred re foundation less comb, sounds good and with all the spare dummy type boards as dividers you end up with a great looking comb honey!
Re Cable Fairy,
Yes same thing happened to me about a month ago! Thought swarm must be mine and caught and boxed it to find it didn't come from any of my hives! Good result as neighbour was happy to take the swarm for his garden apiary!
I've been hearing that this year has been a very swarmy one across the country following having loads of rain and cool weather to suddenly getting warmer/hotter and dryer then for weeks! Global warming?! Well the bees don't seem to mind it!! :P
 #13805  by AdamD
 12 Jun 2023, 14:53
I've been trying to avoid collecting swarms this year but collected one yesterday from a privet hedge for a friend. The bees were as calm as you like and easy to get. We put it in his hive yesterday at about 10 pm. with a queen excluder under for a couple of days. It's not a big swarm and had lots of drones with it so I wonder whether it's got a virgin present. The callers were going to be charged £35 for collecting it if they had gone with the other person they called - there seems to be a lot of people trying to charge when it's not always warranted. The callers were very pleased that I gave them a couple of jars of honey for their efforts.