BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Making sugar blocks

• Bee Hive building & a place to share howto's on equipment
Bee Hive building & a place to share howto's on equipment
 #5417  by Chrisbarlow
 09 Jan 2020, 13:55
I have been putting these sugar blocks onto maisemores poly nucs today. The bees were very active and I'm Sure the bees will have no issue eating them
 #5433  by Chrisbarlow
 10 Jan 2020, 21:43
Alfred wrote:
10 Jan 2020, 18:59
Where are you putting the sugar blocks in your nucs Chris?
Now. And by the looks of it yesterday, they were quickly all over them but I put them directly onto the frames.
 #5446  by Alfred
 12 Jan 2020, 09:18
Do you just put the lid straight over that or the feeder?
I'm curious of how some people claim to use the feeder to hold fondant?
Without breaking the walls it's a long trek for a cold hungry bee to take?

Ive ditched the feeders, put the sugar on the frame tops with my own perspex boards inside a super.
A big chunk of sculptured kingspan to fill the empty space then the lids.
 #5450  by NigelP
 12 Jan 2020, 11:15
Some of the rapid feeders have a plastic plug that you can pull out and put the fondant over it.

For the larger Ashforth type feeders you can just reverse them so the fondant is over the bars, or as you are doing Alfred, an empty super or an eke. In any case the best place for the fondant is over the bars, not away from the bees. Most years it make no difference where it is, this mild winter being a prime example. It's when you get a really cold spell that the fondant being near the bees is important. I take no chances on every winter being mild.

#5451  by Chrisbarlow
 12 Jan 2020, 13:21
Alfred wrote:
12 Jan 2020, 09:18
Do you just put the lid straight over that or the feeder?
I'm curious of how some people claim to use the feeder to hold fondant?
Without breaking the walls it's a long trek for a cold hungry bee to take?

Ive ditched the feeders, put the sugar on the frame tops with my own perspex boards inside a super.
A big chunk of sculptured kingspan to fill the empty space then the lids.
I a few approaches, on brood boxes, I have ekes, So direct on to the frames and eke round it and crown board on.

with poly nucs, some have ekes and same as brood boxes, directly onto frames and eke on , then roof.

some poly nucs, like the maisemore ones with miller style feeders on top, I invert the feeder (turn upside down) and stick the blocks onto the frames and then the inverted miller style feeders on top and then the roof. the feeder and roof are then sat on top as not held by the routed sides but it works for me. Bricks and straps hold it in place then.

Then as Nigel suggests, some have a hole in them. for example the BShoney one does.

I much prefer in winter to have fondant/sugar blocks directly onto frames.
 #5458  by Alfred
 12 Jan 2020, 16:22
Did wonder.

I read somewhere someone wrecked a maisemore feeder trying to remove the centre ribs - the outer blocks just lifted out...
I'm a mid season convert to the Np preferred method of frame top feeding
It might have been timing or coincidence but the nationals didn't tuck in to their blocks until I ditched the crownboards.

The problem now is my remaining stock is all 1" thick so I've had to make7/8" ekes to go under the crownboards.
There's already a bit of wax being formed.
Next year the fondant will be made in her biscuit trays....
 #5615  by Chrisbarlow
 30 Jan 2020, 17:43
Alfred wrote:
Did wonder.

I read somewhere someone wrecked a maisemore feeder trying to remove the centre ribs - the outer blocks just lifted out...
I can't understand how they could do that as they are very easy just to gently pull out and then put back in
 #5616  by Chrisbarlow
 30 Jan 2020, 17:44
Making some more sugar blocks today. They're taking them very well at the moment but the high winter temps are helping. I have some with fondant and they seem to prefer to Santa but sugar blocks are still readily eaten.
 #5642  by Alfred
 01 Feb 2020, 12:30
Chrisbarlow wrote:
30 Jan 2020, 17:43
Alfred wrote:
D
I can't understand how they could do that as they are very easy just to gently pull out and then put back in

Yes Chris the blocks that form walls for the reservoirs lift out but the inner ones that hold up the perspex board dont :shock:

I've tried some pollen substitute slabs-only one colony is interested and the ones now on death row were walking past it to get to my plain jane sugar blocks