BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Cleaning smoker

• Bee Hive building & a place to share howto's on equipment
Bee Hive building & a place to share howto's on equipment
 #14145  by AdamD
 06 Nov 2023, 11:21
I have been waching bees_love - The account has been deactivated. bees-love is welcome to contact forum admin if desired.

We get between 5 and 100 applications to join the forum each day. As the 'captcha' thing doesn't work reliably, the applications are gone through by a human. (Me mostly). Most applications (>90%) are clearly rubbish and generated by bots and can easily be discarded. Many of these come from a .ru location believe it or not. For the remainder, there's a forum tool to see where the application came from and also some applicants are emailed to see if they are genuine. Some reply; those that don't are not accepted. Some are clearly OK. If 'BeekeeperDave' has a BT email address with a name of Dave Smith and the application was from the UK at 11 in the morning, its fairly likely to be genuine. An application from SandraH with an email address of [email protected]@gmail.com from Russia at 3 in the morning is unlikely to be.
 #14147  by MickBBKA
 07 Nov 2023, 02:53
OMG Adam, that sounds a nightmare, but how do they gain access to the forum without a BBKA membership number ??
 #14148  by AdamD
 07 Nov 2023, 10:51
It's a bit of a pain to administer I agree but I can go through the applications quite quickly after plenty of practice! For bees_love, it (apparently) came from a UK location. You don't need a membership number to join the forum however, Mick.

With regard to AI generated text, a work colleague played with the idea for fun and got some half-decent words written about a product that we make - although it was bland and didn't really say much of any significance. In 5 years' time - who knows!?
Ellon Musk says that all jobs will be done by AI in the future. Obviously he has never kept bees.
 #14149  by MickBBKA
 09 Nov 2023, 01:32
I have recently asked some friends of mine to ask questions based on their professional knowledge on various Ai sites and the replies that came back were spot on the money. Some of those questions were very specific and detailed. It could be a very good tool to promote understanding of beekeeping for beginners and maybe even the rest of us............... No Need for forums to get kicked from ever again... :o :lol:
 #14151  by MickBBKA
 09 Nov 2023, 01:39
AdamD wrote:
07 Nov 2023, 10:51
You don't need a membership number to join the forum however, Mick.
:o