BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• What are you currently making in the shed/garage/kitchen/patio/living room that's bee related

• Bee Hive building & a place to share howto's on equipment
Bee Hive building & a place to share howto's on equipment
 #7406  by NigelP
 26 May 2020, 14:04
Strictly speaking I didn't actually make anything but had the pleasure of unboxing and unwrapping a new Abelo poly hive this afternoon.
Their designs and material are getting better and better.
This is their new Poly hive which has a smaller footprint than the previous version, with a smaller roof.
I was particularly impressed that the varroa tray is now made of plastic and substantially stronger than the previous polystyrene ones.
There is an indent in the crown board to hold a well designed miller feeder and the roof has been designed to sit over this. Oh and 5 round vents reduced to one.
Now to fill it with bees.

#7416  by AdamD
 26 May 2020, 21:26
I have not used Abelo stuff (yet?), however what I like about the company is that they seem to keep improving their products year on year. That's a good way to run a business in my view. it shows they are in it for the long term and want to supply the best which is the way to grow market share.

(Thinking aloud, I wonder how long it will be before Thornes decide to update themselves or if they will stick at wooden hives only. Kodak invented digital cameras but never could bring themselves to get beyond the prototype stage and went bust. And Blockbuster video stuck to their high-street model and are no more).
 #7418  by Steve 1972
 26 May 2020, 23:09
Believe me Adam these Abelo poly boxes/Hives and other equipment are faultless..i am fairly picky when buying equipment and i have gone through several companies over the past few years.. my first port of call.. is Now Abelo mainly because everything National wise is on the national footprint..be it frames or wooden boxes everything fits together lovely..and if you phone them for something even a rare complaint it will cheer your day with the happy politeness on the other end of the phone.
 #7443  by Chrisbarlow
 27 May 2020, 23:29
Steve 1972 wrote:
26 May 2020, 23:09
Believe me Adam these Abelo poly boxes/Hives and other equipment are faultless..i am fairly picky when buying equipment and i have gone through several companies over the past few years.. my first port of call.. is Now Abelo mainly because everything National wise is on the national footprint..be it frames or wooden boxes everything fits together lovely..and if you phone them for something even a rare complaint it will cheer your day with the happy politeness on the other end of the phone.
Agreed Steve 👍🏻
 #7444  by Chrisbarlow
 27 May 2020, 23:30
NigelP wrote:
26 May 2020, 14:04
Strictly speaking I didn't actually make anything but had the pleasure of unboxing and unwrapping a new Abelo poly hive this afternoon.
Their designs and material are getting better and better.
This is their new Poly hive which has a smaller footprint than the previous version, with a smaller roof.
I was particularly impressed that the varroa tray is now made of plastic and substantially stronger than the previous polystyrene ones.
There is an indent in the crown board to hold a well designed miller feeder and the roof has been designed to sit over this. Oh and 5 round vents reduced to one.
Now to fill it with bees.

Is it interchangeable with wooden boxes?
 #7456  by Chrisbarlow
 28 May 2020, 12:19
NigelP wrote:
28 May 2020, 09:07
Just about everything is interchangeable with wooden kit. The only thing that isn't is the new roof which sits on their new crownboard. But a wooden roof would go over the crownboard.
The old roof type would have fitted over anything and they are still available.
thanks Nigel, do you think the new style brood box is an improvement on the old one then? or just the same?