BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Fencing veil/Round hat

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #7829  by baldrickbee
 18 Jun 2020, 21:29
Hi I was wondering why the fencing style of head/face cover seems more popular than the conventional round hat style. I chose the latter as to me it creates distance around the entire head and face, whereas the fencing style seems to rest upon the head more. What are you views?
 #7831  by Patrick
 18 Jun 2020, 23:26
The reasons are veiled in mystery baldrick..sorry 😁

I suspect is nothing more than folk just copying what most of the other locals seem to use. I confess I haven’t ever even tried a round hat type but get what you mean. My main suit is quite ancient but on its ? third detachable hood. I have pretty unthinkingly just replaced like for like.

Although the cotton material hood does sometimes contact the top and sides I can’t recall ever being stung through it there, but then I do have hair like a Wookiee.
 #7846  by nealh
 19 Jun 2020, 19:58
It's what ever one gets used to, me I'm a hat man.
 #7849  by Cable_Fairy
 19 Jun 2020, 21:01
I have a fencing type, but always wear a base ball cap after being stung on the top of my head. I do find that the girls take delight in trying to get at my chin, but cant get through the beard. I think the next on will be a round hat type.
 #7853  by Steve 1972
 20 Jun 2020, 10:07
I have both types..i use the fencing veil type near my main apiary as it is a Oz Armour ventilated which is needed for the warm summer inspections..i also wear a baseball cap with that one..
I use the round veil type in my garden apiary where i often take nucs with newly introduced Queens to help stop with any robbing issues..
 #9296  by Patrick
 20 Oct 2020, 22:40
After many years of hard use and countless washes my trusty original suit material was getting pretty worn thin and easily punctured by tetchy bees, notably on the legs as they went into my wellies . Absolutely no complaints about the suit and have a couple of others from the same UK supplier, but I do get very hot shifting boxes and a few times this year it has been punishing. After recommendations from on here, I decided to try something else this time and ordered an Oz Armour 3 layer ventilated suit from Oz.

First impressions are good, its surprisingly heavy in comparison to the single cotton version, but when on you don't notice it, The three layers are indeed very well ventilated and you can even feel the breeze when wearing it. Impressed so far.

The only thing I have noticed so far on mine (it's the large) is that the face mesh is quite close to the end of my nose. There are a couple of plastic lolly stick type stiffeners provided to keep the fencing veil extended but I still managed to get whacked right on the tip of my nose through the veil when bending over. Eye watering..

It seems that the front flap to cover the zips has to be attached to its velcro pad quite taut, to ensure the veil is pulled forward enough to ensure reasonable clearance. Its slightly surprising as the hood seems generous enough. Do other Oz Armour users have any handy hints?

And no cheap shots about me just obviously having a very long hooter ... :roll: :lol: :lol:
 #9297  by Ian123
 20 Oct 2020, 22:46
Sheriff suit’s and fencing type hoods every time. Built to last and good service....Ian
 #9298  by huntsman.
 21 Oct 2020, 09:37
<The only thing I have noticed so far on mine (it's the large) is that the face mesh is quite close to the end of my nose. >

Patrick, try wearing a baseball cap with a large peak.
 #9300  by Chrisbarlow
 21 Oct 2020, 09:52
I have both

Fencing veil generally warn with a baseball hat.

Round veil generally warn with a beany hat and a chin strap. Some cheap ones don't have chin straps.
 #9306  by AdamD
 21 Oct 2020, 11:02
I first had a round hat but prefer the fencing veil type - it casts a smaller shadow when looking for eggs. The biggest issue with heat in the summer is black wellies as they are a no-no. I don't like to tip them up and :cry: pour out foot-juice after using them for a while!