BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Apiary Suppliers - Who do you recommend?

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #7720  by AndrewLD
 12 Jun 2020, 09:05
Which apiary supplier would I recommend to someone looking for a distributor?
That's an interesting question that was posed to me recently. I think I'd want a long established firm, with a good internet ordering system, fast order processing, good packaging and above all reliable with a good record of customer service. I think I'd want to avoid an internet only operator that could turn out to be a fly-by-night operation out of garage.
Off the top of my head, I think I'd definitely recommend - E H Thorne and Paynes Bee Farm
Who would you recommend (No negatives please we don't want to get sued) and I am not paying any attention to replies from Mr Beeskeeper who joined from today :)
 #7721  by NigelP
 12 Jun 2020, 10:31
I would suggest Abelo...they are apparently thriving under lockdown with their on line and collection service. I mainly use them because they are local and they provide a damn good service. I know they will take on beekeeping stuff (assuming it is good) to sell on.
Maisemore and C.Wynne Jones also come to mind.
Plus there is Simon the Beekeeper, who has been around long enough to not be a fly by night.
Usual arrangement (in the food industry) is the distributor need to make at least 33% profit margin.
 #7724  by Steve 1972
 12 Jun 2020, 19:49
Nigel has it covered and the companies mentioned above have not needed any complainants from me..however Abelo come up as top of my list every time..
Customer service/ delivery/packaging is 100% second to none..i use them for everything..
A Well recommended company from me ..
 #7731  by Alfred
 13 Jun 2020, 08:13
Any operation will f.u. at some point because humans are invoved.
The response to the issue is a measure. how good the outfit is.
From a retail point of view I have had countless bad experiences with one particular company and have given up with them.
The customer service is fantastic but they don't ever address the root cause of their problems.
This would suggest the suppliers are also getting frustrated too.
 #7737  by Murox
 13 Jun 2020, 12:30
I have found that the suppliers/retailers are "generally much of a muchness". What really bugs me is essentially the manufacture of non compliant/non standard hives and parts that are all dubbed with the same name. It's too easy to end up with kit that that just doesn't match or fit properly; so you end up only buying brand X from supplier/retailer Y.
Thats choice of a sort I guess.