BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Spring Varroa Count

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #6312  by AndrewLD
 10 Apr 2020, 09:13
No doubt many have done a spring varroa check and I am just wondering what you have found?
On my hives there were so few after a 7 days insert board check that I didn't feel the need to actually count (3 or 4). I haven't seen it this low before and I am wondering what to put it down to. I did an August/September ApiVar (amitraze) treatment for 10 weeks and was meticulous in ensuring the strips were well placed. That was it :o
 #6313  by Steve 1972
 10 Apr 2020, 09:39
Last year I used Apitraz on on five colonies..another three colonies got vaped with oxalic acid mix..
The five with Apitraz that where treated in Aurumn got a oxalic acid vape around Christmas time and dropped zero mites..the three that where vapes in Autumn dropped very few with there winter treatment...I know the inspection board is not an accurate indicator of mite count but to date so far I have never done a spring treatment or mite count as the Autumn and winter treatments seem to keep the little Devils in check.
 #6315  by NigelP
 10 Apr 2020, 11:05
Very similar. Boards that were left in since Xmas showed few if any mites when inspected and cleaned a short while ago.....
However, this time of year most of the varroa that survived autumn treatments are inside cells breeding....so I'm not getting get too complacent because nothing is currently dropping...it will do soon.
 #6367  by AndrewLD
 12 Apr 2020, 10:05
Perhaps I am one of the few that does a Spring check for varroa? As I don't do oxalic it's a last check before it get's too late to use anything but MAQ's.
What I was hoping to discover was how other beekeepers find Amitraze - and the latest news from the USA looked encouraging. I also wondered why one needs to do a late oxalic treatment if you have done an autumn high efficacy treatment? i.e. are you over-treating?
 #6372  by Steve 1972
 12 Apr 2020, 13:06
AndrewLD wrote:
12 Apr 2020, 10:05
What I was hoping to discover was how other beekeepers find Amitraze - and the latest news from the USA looked encouraging. I also wondered why one needs to do a late oxalic treatment if you have done an autumn high efficacy treatment? i.e. are you over-treating?
Amitraz / Apitraz is a really good treatment from my experiences using it last year..regarding over treating..I do not think a winter treatment during the Christmas time during a broodles period when any pherotic mites are going to get mopped is over doing it..
 #6374  by Japey Edge
 12 Apr 2020, 13:24
Amitraz worked great for me last season, but I've been asked for propolis for friends wanting to make a tincture which unsettles me because if I suspect it could hold traces of amitraz, I would have a panic attack giving it away.

I don't want traces of stuff like this in my hives so I am inclined to go more "natural". Even if small amounts aren't harmful to people, I really don't like the idea of people ingesting it. Only a few months ago I couldn't see myself sublimating/vapourising oxalic but I'm doing my research now and thinking about that being my only method.

I must say, I need to look more into varroa treatments. Hopefully me posting this will bring in some responses from those who know more about these products.