BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Coronavirus - essential travel only - affect your beekeeping

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #5958  by Chrisbarlow
 17 Mar 2020, 17:50
So the PM announced lasted night about people should not be making unnecessary travel and talked about minimising contact, it was even mentioned about over 70ies being confined to quarters.

How do people think this will change their Beekeeping this year?
 #5959  by nealh
 17 Mar 2020, 19:34
It will likely come under essential travel as they are livestock, one with out apiaries can't simply leave the bees/maltreat them by not checking for food stores and disease let alone the public nuisance of swarms appearing all over the country due to lack of husbandry care.
I shall be visiting mine and doing all the above, I have three at home and 4 at 3 out apiaries.
 #5963  by AdamD
 17 Mar 2020, 20:32
If you sit in a car/van and drive to an apiary, that doesn't affect the spread of the corona virus. Going by public transport just might! I wonder if the difference is lost on some city-based politicians :?:
I will travel to my apiary sites (a coule of nucs are at the office atm) as I need to.
 #5966  by Patrick
 17 Mar 2020, 20:49
As my beekeeping is “solitary” I won’t encounter anyone in the process of actually handling bees.

Selling honey may be more problematic as likely many shows will not go ahead. Also supposed to be doing apiary demos, can’t see that happening.

First person I know to come down with it today. Tough ex-copper. Feels absolutely dreadful, poor bloke.
 #5969  by NigelP
 18 Mar 2020, 08:06
Yup, farmers market today was cancelled. Looks like they all might be, although I'm hoping that some food/farmers markets might be allowed. Although I suspect that some of the places we hire to hold them may prohibit them...we shall see..
Will self isolate on boat in middle of lake when trout season starts.....
 #5970  by AndrewLD
 18 Mar 2020, 08:54
String of events cancelled in Cambridgeshire including the beer festival :( Can't see the big food fairs going ahead this summer. Best order some extra 30lb tubs.
I think looking after bees does count as livestock and would get you past any road blocks - if it doesn't then I am sure they can look after themselves. Having said that I am getting an extra stand ready to bring in a couple of hives in the out-apiary.
Nigel's idea is excellent and also provides food so a winner all round. Wine rack stocked up in case French can't get their stuff out - I can see plenty of apiary planning meetings with myself coming up.
 #5976  by AndrewLD
 18 Mar 2020, 19:25
[/quote]

I hope that wasn't a few cases of panic rouge Andrew,,,,,/sly grin/
[/quote]

May be that I took advantage of the fact that my next authorised trip to Majestic wasn't due until Easter :D
Just slapped in my customary pre-season order of frames and foundation to E H Thorne and I am just hoping it gets here before they get through 3 supers per hive.....
But seriously, just how much mould will the bees clear up on a frame - I mean odd spots rather than anything too serious. Some of my drawn comb hasn't survived the damp wet winter that well and I have had to burn a lot of frames :(
 #5978  by MickBBKA
 18 Mar 2020, 22:55
I have 4 out apiaries so if we were to be put under house arrest as in France that would be a serious problem. Swarm season coming fast and colonies swarming several times will leave them weak, depleted and honey less as well as the public nuisance, 2 or 3 swarms per hive won't be good. Trees falling on hives, cattle knocking them over, Varroa and brood diseases are always possible for anyone. As food producers and livestock managers I hope we are given sensible allowance to go about our business as required. Being self employed I could go out of business with my main job as well as lose my bee stock or have it reduced by lack of management that it would take several years to get back to where it is now which would be a double whammy for me. I wonder also if going to my allotment, fishing or shooting will count as travelling to collect food. :?: