BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Under supering rapeseed honey alternative to harvesting

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #5685  by thewoodgatherer
 07 Feb 2020, 15:12
Where I live we do get a lot of rapeseed :x but it looks like the farmers are moving away from it locally and the number of fields has plummeted in recent years. This years looking like we wont have much if any within a few miles so I'm thinking of removing some supers if we do after flowing and hold them back on some of the hives to under super in September instead of the usual spin out and creaming. I do like to leave my bees with plenty of their own stash :D . Any thoughts on this from you guys would be much apricated.
 #5686  by NigelP
 07 Feb 2020, 15:28
Whatever spring honey it is it will have set solid in the comb by the time you undersuper with it. If you are confident your bees can deal with it then fine. But I would keep an eye on it and make sure they do move it.
 #5687  by thewoodgatherer
 07 Feb 2020, 16:43
NigelP wrote:Whatever spring honey it is it will have set solid in the comb by the time you undersuper with it. If you are confident your bees can deal with it then fine. But I would keep an eye on it and make sure they do move it.
It surely will have. My question was to those with experience of this maybe. Are you saying that they may just ignore it and not move it, alternatively what about putting it back above instead.
 #5688  by AdamD
 07 Feb 2020, 17:08
Last summer I had some OSR super frames that I couldn't extract. I put them under the broodbox which had a swarm in. (From bottom up I had
  • Closed floor
    Super
    Queen excluder
    1" eke with entrance
    Brood box
    Crownboard and roof).
It saved having to feed the swarm to get comb drawn well and avoided me having to do anything with the set honey. A couple of weeks later, the super was empty and it could be removed;
I am pretty confident that your bees will take up any food that's underneath them - provided it's not too late in the season.
 #5690  by thewoodgatherer
 07 Feb 2020, 17:46
AdamD wrote:Last summer I had some OSR super frames that I couldn't extract. I put them under the broodbox which had a swarm in. (From bottom up I had
  • Closed floor
    Super
    Queen excluder
    1" eke with entrance
    Brood box
    Crownboard and roof).
It saved having to feed the swarm to get comb drawn well and avoided me having to do anything with the set honey. A couple of weeks later, the super was empty and it could be removed;
I am pretty confident that your bees will take up any food that's underneath them - provided it's not too late in the season.
Thanks for that, I will give it go depending upon how much I do or don’t get this year, obviously I wouldn’t expect to do this with a weak colony, if it fails I do have a large honey warmer to soften the frames up a little worst case.
 #5691  by NigelP
 07 Feb 2020, 19:22
AdamD wrote:
07 Feb 2020, 17:08

Good to know Adam. My only concern is yours was a summer swarm, autumn is different.
 #5693  by AdamD
 08 Feb 2020, 09:04
Alfred,
Some of the cappings were open I expect, some not. The eke and entrance is to stop bees from going up and down through the excluder during foraging and the distance makes the honey below seem further from the brood nest too so it's more likely to be removed - otherwise it's just a bee-space away. The entrance, I guess, would also help with defending the colony/food - bees usually have the brood and guard bees near the entrance with the food above and behind so it can be easily defended.
 #5697  by thewoodgatherer
 08 Feb 2020, 18:16
AdamD wrote:Alfred,
Some of the cappings were open I expect, some not. The eke and entrance is to stop bees from going up and down through the excluder during foraging and the distance makes the honey below seem further from the brood nest too so it's more likely to be removed - otherwise it's just a bee-space away. The entrance, I guess, would also help with defending the colony/food - bees usually have the brood and guard bees near the entrance with the food above and behind so it can be easily defended.
I like that, sounds all highly logical although bees as we know don’t always do what they are supposed to. I will try that and also maybe one or two straight floor with entrance hives and see what the difference is if any.
 #5698  by Patrick
 08 Feb 2020, 19:29
Good plan.

It’s only sometimes by trying you find out. Thing to bear in mind is - as already coined - bees do nothing invariably.

It’s like uniting - I always used to unite by the newspaper method and one day at the end of the season just got on with it, smoked them quite heavily and just plonked the queenless hive on top. No bother.

Have since not bothered with the paper for autumn unites and just smoked. Now I have said that, sure as eggs are eggs next time I do it all hell will break loose. :roll: