BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Brood box bursting at the seems

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #3938  by Wildfire
 06 Jul 2019, 17:30
I have a very healthy hive the queen is laying beautifully and I have one super on nearly full but not sealed.
So do I just pop another super on or should I put a second brood box on as well.
Should I try and create a new nucleus ???There are no queen cells just a couple of play queen cups
Please advise I want to treat these bees with the respect they deserve .
Many thanks . :)
 #3949  by MickBBKA
 06 Jul 2019, 23:51
You haven't said how many frames of brood you have or seams of bees. But the colony will be probably starting to reduce in size ever so slightly and a second brood box is probably unlikely to be required. A second super however will give a bit more space for the bees that are there and give you the chance to draw a second super of comb which is worth its weight in honey next Spring.

Cheers, Mick.
 #3953  by AdamD
 07 Jul 2019, 09:59
I agree with Mick . Depending on your location, you may have bramble and lime coming in and himalayan balsam after that so a super on top would make sense to me from what you describe. The important thing is how many frames of brood there are in the hive and whether there's space for the queen to lay.
If you only have foundation for your super, I would consider swapping a couple of frames from the existing super with foundation - not next to each other though - and putting them in the second super - again not next to each other. This will tend to encourage the bees into the second super and give them some space. The down-side of this is that the bees will draw out some comb thicker than others as they will tend to keep drawing existing comb rather than work on foundation, however this can be rectified after uncapping.