BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• What have you done today bee-related?

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #6201  by Alfred
 06 Apr 2020, 12:56
https://ibb.co/TqmVyfG
Smartened up some very tired looking woodenware with some,erm.....Apibioxal.
Great results, no sanding.
Torn between clear cuprinol or gold linseed oil for a finish.
 #6208  by Alfred
 06 Apr 2020, 16:40
Disolve few lumps of the magic powder in a half mugful of hot water
Apply with soft paintbush.
Don't apply to face or eyes or sleeping cats.
Apply a second coat and scrub with a toothbrush.
Watch the grey sludge come away revealing natural finish.
Rinse off with warm water allow to dry
Tell wife to rinse her mug and toothbrush before use if appropriate.
 #6210  by NigelP
 06 Apr 2020, 17:18
Reassuring to hear of a legal use for pure Oxalic acid crystals in beekeeping...well done Alfred :D

Whilst I don't trust drop counts to be very accurate I must say I'm impressed with the small numbers of varroa being found in trays that were last cleaned around Xmas.
Not that I will ever become blase about the little parasites.
 #6211  by Alfred
 06 Apr 2020, 17:45
NigelP wrote:Reassuring to hear of a legal use for pure Oxalic acid crystals in beekeeping...well done Alfred :D

Whilst I don't trust drop counts to be very accurate I must say I'm impressed with the small numbers of varroa being found in trays that were last cleaned around Xmas.
Not that I will ever become blase about the little parasites.
Is your apibioxal supplied in tablets/sachets or kg tubs?
 #6214  by Chrisbarlow
 06 Apr 2020, 20:17
Cleaning poly nuc boxes up this evening. Scrub and wash down ready for a lick if paint later this week.

Also removing comb from old frames ready for recycling and cleaning the frames ready for foundation bring inserted when it arrives from Simon the Beekeeper
 #6238  by Steve 1972
 07 Apr 2020, 18:34
Just a quick look at the tunnel entrances today..17C and the bees are on the goat willows bother Male and female trees which is a good time..they where on the willows the same sign last year and that year was a big harvest for me.
 #6239  by AdamD
 07 Apr 2020, 19:26
The weather has warmed, the wind has dropped and OSR is flowering. Brood boxes are full and supers went on today. Yay!
 #6240  by Steve 1972
 07 Apr 2020, 19:58
Brilliant..here what we have of it as not much has been sowed this year is only ankle height..personally I am not a fan of it but the bees are surrounded with it normally so I just put my head down and deal with it..good luck for a bumper crop..
 #6250  by Chrisbarlow
 08 Apr 2020, 12:10
Gave the poly nucs a Lick of paint last night, I'll see how I feel about a second lick tonight.