I hope it's all good Nigel.
Today I split one of my double brood colonies. They had a queen cup in last week with larvae and jelly/milk so I took it down. This week they had a couple of unsealed QCs and one that was sealed but tore apart when I lifted the frame out. So few I'm assuming supersedure. This is a recently re-queened colony so I'm assuming as Nigel has mentioned previously, the old bees are (stupidly) trying to requeen their new queen.
So my plan is to make the split today, take down QCs in the next 5 or 6 days, then unite them again.
Another nuc with a locally raised queen (daughter of a buckfast) is so amazingly calm and she has laid up an almost perfect pattern. They were stuffed so I did something a bit odd - shook off a frame and put in with the aforementioned split, swapping for one of the three foundation frames they had. I just didn't have enough equipment with me.
Even though the out-apiary is only 3 miles away it's drastically reducing my enjoyment here. I don't want to stock the car with my entire beekeeping stock
Still not keen on inspecting double brood. Such a chew.