BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• What have you done today bee-related?

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #5395  by Japey Edge
 06 Jan 2020, 13:59
Haha I just posted an update on the hive monitor thread :-)

They have been done before and are available as DiY kits or even the high-end stuff available at a price.

Mine probably won't be ready until late spring as I have so much on. I would have loved to have used it over winter though - to get an indication of what goes on.
 #5398  by AdamD
 06 Jan 2020, 19:59
MickBBKA wrote:
05 Jan 2020, 22:55
A forum that wasn't designed for the early 90's would allow me to post some pics.
Cheers, Mick.
Pictures have been turned off by admin I am afraid, so the (only) option is to post pictures elsewhere and then use the 'insert image' icon. :(

I may have some blame for that as several years ago in the old forum, I posted a picture of someone holding some coffee cups which - unbeknown to me - was owned by Getty Images (How the heck I was to know, as I could see no info at all within the picture file). Getty contacted the BBKA with a view of extracting cash from them as the post had been up for a couple of years. Thankfully they relented but there was a flurry of activity at the time to take the picture down.....Next time I'll post my own coffee cup picture!
 #5399  by AdamD
 06 Jan 2020, 20:06
AdamD wrote:
06 Jan 2020, 19:59
MickBBKA wrote:
05 Jan 2020, 22:55
A forum that wasn't designed for the early 90's would allow me to post some pics.
Cheers, Mick.
Pictures have been turned off by admin I am afraid, so the (only) option is to post pictures elsewhere and then use the 'insert image' icon. :(
I may have some blame for that as several years ago in the old forum, I posted a picture of someone holding some coffee cups which - unbeknown to me - was owned by Getty Images (How the heck I was to know, as I could see no info at all within the picture file). Getty contacted the BBKA with a view of extracting cash from them as the post had been up for a couple of years. Thankfully they relented but there was a flurry of activity at the time to take the picture down.....Next time I'll post my own coffee cup picture!
 #5401  by MickBBKA
 08 Jan 2020, 00:24
NigelP wrote:
06 Jan 2020, 12:53
Sounds like Teesside is a tropical paradise at the moment... LOL
Ha ! 12C here today, thats 2C warmer than the first 2 weeks in June last year. Living so close and open to the North Sea means our weather doesn't vary too much. So warm sea air in winter is cool sea air in Spring & Summer. Your location will be cooler in winter and warmer in summer than here. Weather, my fav subject..lol
Soon be Christmas :D
 #5402  by RacingBee
 08 Jan 2020, 12:39
This is my first winter as a beekeeper so I have no idea what to expect bees to be doing at this time of year other than what I read in the manuals - and as we know, the bees just don't bother with those.

Today, after putting together a new flat-pack hive ready for spring, I went out to watch my two colonies. Both of them are actively foraging. I couldn't believe it at first so I watched for quite a long time to make sure my eyes weren't deceiving me. They weren't; the landing boards are busy, and most of the bees are returning with small packets of pollen. I'm frankly bewildered...
 #5403  by AdamD
 08 Jan 2020, 16:45
It's been a pleasant day here and my bees were flying too. And yes they will pick up nectar and pollen in January if it's available. In some years near me there's 'green manure' in fields which can flower; it's then ploughed in or sprayed off before the farmer plants a food crop in spring. It's great to get fresh pollen into the hives.
 #5405  by thewoodgatherer
 08 Jan 2020, 18:36
RacingBee wrote:This is my first winter as a beekeeper so I have no idea what to expect bees to be doing at this time of year other than what I read in the manuals - and as we know, the bees just don't bother with those.

Today, after putting together a new flat-pack hive ready for spring, I went out to watch my two colonies. Both of them are actively foraging. I couldn't believe it at first so I watched for quite a long time to make sure my eyes weren't deceiving me. They weren't; the landing boards are busy, and most of the bees are returning with small packets of pollen. I'm frankly bewildered...
Yes they are incredible creatures hence why most of use are so into them, most of my hives out today making the most of the mild weather to use the toilet (the air above my neighbours washing line I expect), not much flowering around me that I have noticed but I'm sure they will find something ;)
Hope we are not in for another 2018 spring when many colonies got caught out by the beast from the east.
 #5409  by Patrick
 08 Jan 2020, 23:47
The BSBI annual volunteer survey for a few days over the New Year period around Taunton found 87 different wild plants in flower.

12 degrees and easy flying weather today. Crazy times.
 #5418  by Chrisbarlow
 09 Jan 2020, 13:56
Treating for varroa and adding sugar blocks if needed.
 #5426  by MickBBKA
 10 Jan 2020, 01:27
Checked and topped up fondant. Heat really building in quite a few colonies now and getting very light, I am terrified we get a bad cold spell like 2018.
Got one colony that had quite a few (60ish) dead and dying bees on and around the entrance. looked under insulation through Perspex crown board and there was a good 6 frames of bees running about which did look fine. I think I will put them in a 6 frame nuc . Bees looked plump and furry so not sure what's going on there. No sign of dysentery, deformed wings, ABPV or heavy varroa drop. Time will tell.

Cheers, Mick.