BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• What have you done today bee-related?

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #5677  by AdamD
 06 Feb 2020, 09:01
At 8.5 degrees and calm yesterday, there were bees drifting in and out of hives.
Weather due to get windy this weekend - I'll need to double-check that my hives/roofs are strapped or weighed down.
 #5678  by AndrewLD
 06 Feb 2020, 13:53
13 degC and brilliant Sun here in the Cambridgeshire Alps (98 metres) with lots of bees orientating in front of the hives. Some bringing in a pale yellow (Crocus perhaps) and pale grey pollen. With wind gusts forecast for anything between 55mph and 65 mph depending on source, my hives are strapped tightly down to their stands, which themselves are now guy-strapped. If this keeps up I am going to have to start inspections earlier than planned.
Perhaps another planning meeting is called for - better see what I have in the wine rack :)
 #5679  by Cable_Fairy
 06 Feb 2020, 15:17
Only 6 - 7 degrees here in South Yorkshire, the little girls are out flying and bringing back yellow pollen. There appears to be an lot more in the hive than a week ago.
 #5680  by Amandas bees
 06 Feb 2020, 15:26
It was lovely and warm here in the south east yesterday and the bees were out and about, bringing in yellow, grey and red pollen, im thinking the red was from snowdrops in the area. I checked on stores and did have a sneak peak and the queen has surely been laying. It was the only hive i checked a frame as it was in a fully sunny spot and not a tight cluster and well i just couldnt help myself lol.
 #5681  by Patrick
 06 Feb 2020, 16:56
All mine flying in Somerset as well and also bring in various pollen including Snowdrop and Hazel.

Quite understand Amanda - find myself thinking about Spring too, but still a way to go yet sadly.

Sunday looks dire, definitely an indoor day. Bit of chub fishing Saturday morning and then the rugby in the afternoon. Happy days..
 #5682  by NigelP
 06 Feb 2020, 17:39
For an hour or so late afternoon mine where out and about. No pollen coming back in that I could see. Looked like re-orientating flights and toilet duties. It's been damn cold up here... -2.8C last night
 #5683  by MickBBKA
 06 Feb 2020, 19:01
Checked on food stores today. Just in time for 1 colony that was down to 2 frames of stores having gone through a full brood and a under super over winter. Put a small colony into a nuc as it looks in danger if we get more frosts. I swear that 6 colonies at home and in the village are heavier now than they were in October, maybe they got some ivy late on. One colony at my out apiary has 8 frames of brood and fills a brood box and a half with bees, god help it. Small amount of pollen coming in at home today as there was no wind for the first time in about 6 weeks, the calm before the storm..lol.

Cheers, Mick.
 #5694  by AdamD
 08 Feb 2020, 09:06
AndrewLD wrote:
06 Feb 2020, 13:53
Perhaps another planning meeting is called for - better see what I have in the wine rack :)
An excellent idea! - something for Sunday or Monday.
 #5695  by Chrisbarlow
 08 Feb 2020, 16:54
On Thursday, checking stores, adding fondant and making sure everything strapped up for storm Ciara this weekend.
 #5704  by Patrick
 09 Feb 2020, 15:07
Pretty filthy weather but went to check bees at lunchtime and incredibly 20% of hives had a few bees still flying. Amazing. Hope they got back okay as well.

Some big mistletoe clusters torn out of the trees, all in flower. Hope it calms enough soon for bees to take advantage.