BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• What have you done today bee-related?

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #10309  by NigelP
 20 Mar 2021, 18:09
Quick quizz question.
From which country did the description of "warm" and "cold" frame direction come from and what were the original hives made from?
A pint of cyber beer to the winner.
 #10310  by Chrisbarlow
 20 Mar 2021, 19:09
NigelP wrote:
20 Mar 2021, 18:09
Quick quizz question.
From which country did the description of "warm" and "cold" frame direction come from and what were the original hives made from?
A pint of cyber beer to the winner.
Crikey, no idea
 #10321  by NigelP
 21 Mar 2021, 17:40
And the winner is Mick....or perhaps he's been brushing up on his Eva Crane's history of beekeeping :)
The ancient Egyptians made long cylindrical drain pipe like hives with mud and reeds. And depending on whic h way the bees drew the comb parallel or across were described as cold or warm (in Egyption). They also had hive tools to manipulate the comb...
Also practised migratory beekeeping, but not as we know it. They placed hives on barges and moved them up and down the nile as different crops came into flower.
 #10341  by NigelP
 22 Mar 2021, 14:40
Glorious day in North Yorkshire, 12C with bees flying strongly and bringing back pollen like theres no tomorrow. I grabbed the opportunity for a 1st quick inspection of the garden hives.
As usual even the hives I hefted as light and fed still had plenty of stores....when will I learn!
What was surprising was the amount of brood present with many colonies being on 6/7 frames already.....albeit not wall to wall. But some big strong healthy colonies out there. One was so crowded I've added queen excluder and super just to give them sufficient parking space.
 #10344  by Alfred
 22 Mar 2021, 17:42
I gave them all a small piece of fondant this morning as they have got through most of their own now and we're not out of the woods yet .
Temps were 10 degrees before 8.30am but there was still a slight frost early hours.
The amount of brace comb that has appeared in the last five days is significant.They hadn't bothered since autumn.
More room required????