BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• What have you done today bee-related?

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #8598  by NigelP
 26 Aug 2020, 18:08
Extracted the last of the summer blossom today....not a lot. Froze 11 good frames down for potential cut comb as we are probably going to have a disaster with this years cut comb heather honey harvest.

Started preparing frames and boxes for winter storage. I used to spray my frames against wax moth with Certan B401 (still not available UK due to licensing problems) and used to be happy with the results when it was available.. Last year I accepted advice that a similar product (Dipel), would do the same job.... Given the extremely large number of wax moth infested frames I had to throw out this spring I would say never ever again ........and I was using 2x more concentrated than recommended.
Different tactic this winter, using a sulphur burner and burning 2 strips per 3/brood (or 6 supers) then strapping down tight for winter. Oh Boy....does that stuff smoke and stink and Oh boy it is far far less work than spraying every frame. Does it work....I'll let you know next spring.
I've also tried many different ways of trying to prevent the pollen cells from going mouldy over winter with little success. So problem solved this year, I've frozen them in an extra freezer. With the idea of putting them back into the hives Mid Feb when the bees are chronically short of pollen.
Last edited by NigelP on 28 Aug 2020, 19:39, edited 1 time in total.
 #8602  by Steve 1972
 26 Aug 2020, 18:34
NigelP wrote:
26 Aug 2020, 18:08

Different tactic this winter, using a sulphur burner and burning 2 strips per 3/brood (or 6 supers) then strapping down tight for winter. Oh Boy....does that stuff smoke and stink and Oh boy it is far far less work than spraying every frame. Does it work....I'll let you know next spring.
Nigel not sure if you remember but i use a hot box greenhouse sulpher burner above my supers inside of a empty brood box..the sulpher crystals warm up and melt which produces a melted wax colured liquid..this lets of a vapour that is heavier than air drop down through the supers..it stinks to high heaven but i have not had a wax moth problem yet by doing this..i might not have a wax moth problem either if i do nothing but i certainly do not want to find out.. :D

#8614  by Patrick
 27 Aug 2020, 00:48
It’s powerful stuff those sulphur strips. The ones I bought years ago were apparently sold to sterilise wooden wine barrels or some such. I tried them once and nearly chocked myself silly.

I store my supers outside in my bee shed. Ever since PCB crystals were banned I have just stacked them and left them and cross fingers never a wax moth issue. I am not quite sure why not. We get loads of them if you try storing used brood combs, unless it’s simply down to them not being bred in. Doesn’t sound like you have been so lucky tho Nigel and I would have guessed you typically overwinter colder than me. It’s a horror show when they do get a hold. I left a dead out a bit too long last year and it was a solid mass of silk, grass, cocoons and wriggling maggots. Nice.
 #8616  by NigelP
 27 Aug 2020, 07:57
Wow Steve, that hotbox looks like overkill....might have to invest in one. Do you do the whole lot in one go in the greenhouse?

Patrick, rarely ever get wax moth in super frames (stored dry). It seems to be a problem associated with brood frames. It doesn't seem to matter if they are stored dry or wet they can get infested. I think part of the problem was last year I sprayed with dipel (which didn't work) and left them in my bee shed which is warmer than outside. The wax moths thrived. This year sulphur/strap and leave outside where hopefully the sterilisation, lack of access and cooler winter temps we get will do the job. Certainly the pollen clogged frames at -20C will be fine.
I think if your winters are cold enough and you prevent access to to your stacks then you don't need to treat, but they seem to getting milder and damper at the moment.
 #8656  by Steve 1972
 28 Aug 2020, 15:19
NigelP wrote:
27 Aug 2020, 07:57
Wow Steve, that hotbox looks like overkill....might have to invest in one. Do you do the whole lot in one go in the greenhouse?
I do a stack of five at a time Nigel but now you mention it i could easily do four stacks of five at a time if i get the hot box a bit higher..the spread of the vapour coming down covers roughly a 5ft area..
 #8657  by NigelP
 28 Aug 2020, 16:01
Interesting...Just been doing a bit of research...The Hotbox doesn't burn the sulphur it vaporises it so you get a distribution of small sulphur crystals over everything which acts as the killing agent.
Whereas burning sulphur (as in the strips I'm using or a sulphur candle) doesn't distribute sulphur but produces Sulphur Dioxide which is the killer.
Seems major difference is you can use the sulphur vaporiser (Hotbox) to control pests on plants, whereas the sulphur dioxide forms an acid on damp plants which damages them.
 #8661  by AndrewLD
 28 Aug 2020, 17:35
I wonder, for how much longer will you be able to buy sulphur strips?
The French National Union of Beekeepers is pleading for the use of SO2 in the destruction of Asian Hornet nests but it is currently banned. The use of sulphur strips to kill bees in skeps has long gone......
If you are buying them, ostensibly, to sterilise barrels but using them for something else then I suspect you are on borrowed time.
 #8663  by NigelP
 28 Aug 2020, 18:55
AndrewLD wrote:
28 Aug 2020, 17:35
If you are buying them, ostensibly, to sterilise barrels but using them for something else then I suspect you are on borrowed time.

I buy my sulphur strips from a reputable beekeeping firm.....Thornes....specifically intended for treating empty supers/brood boxes against wax moth.
https://www.thorne.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=6124
Perhaps the French could import some from them if they need them?

Their (Thornes) blurb states.
"Sulphur dioxide is one of the most effective methods of controlling wax moth. It is highly volatile, not fat soluble and poses very little risk to bees, wax and honey. When ignited the strips give off noxious sulphur dioxide, this heavier than air gas then sinks through the pile of supers and frames being treated."
No wine barrels required....although I disagree about the risk to bees...it kills all insects that are exposed to it /wry grin/

Last edited by NigelP on 28 Aug 2020, 19:30, edited 2 times in total.
 #8664  by NigelP
 28 Aug 2020, 18:58
Steve 1972 wrote:
28 Aug 2020, 17:52
Do you think the Hotbox is working Nigel or am i just lucky.. :D
I think they do the same job Steve, but in slightly different ways. Just can't burn sulphur when plants are present, whereas you can vaporise sulphur AKA hot burner.
If it works stay with it.