BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Warning about forage and wasps

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #37  by DianeBees
 21 Jul 2018, 08:41
This is written by one of our members at Medlock.

Colony Stores
With the continued dry weather, even though we have had some recent rain, plants will be short of nectar. Up until the beginning of July, I have experienced the best honey gathering since I started beekeeping 8 years ago, mainly from clover and fruit trees. This appears to have come to an end. I have noticed in my garden that flowers are not being pollinated. My strawberry crop is at an all-time low and my broad beans have had the earlier flowers pollinated but none have been further up the stem. Himalayan balsam, usually my best honey crop, has started early in profusion but I have not noticed much of the tell-tale signs of bees visiting it and returning with dusty backs. There is little signs of my supers continuing to increase their content. Large colonies can go through their stores very rapidly if they are not bringing in enough nectar to replenish it and can starve quickly in between inspections. Equally, small colonies, particularly nucs, can die out very fast. If you are removing honey as I have just done, leave more than you would normally do and keep regularly checking the stores.

Wasps
I have noticed them around the hives much earlier than usual. To help colonies to protect themselves, reduce the size of entrances and particularly keep a watch on smaller colonies. Once wasps find a way in and manage to get out again to tell their mates, that colony is in serious trouble and you won’t be able to protect it unless you move it far enough away.
 #43  by cambsbeekeep
 21 Jul 2018, 14:30
Yes, I've noticed a lot more wasps around than usual for this time of year. I have already put my hive entrance tunnels on to help the guard bees defend the entrances (a simple tunnel over the reduced entrance pinned in place to allow the bees to exit and return through the sides of the plastic tunnel, but apparently it gives wasps more of a problem). I have a home apiary and an out-apiary, and they both suffer from wasps. Wasp traps are also out, and gaining some visitors!