BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Strangest thing you have ever found in a hive.

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #13569  by MickBBKA
 11 Apr 2023, 00:16
A few of you may recall a couple of months ago I posted about a friend of mine having had her winter stores cut out of her hives by some unknown person, sadly of her 8 colonies 4 have died since due to the stress.
Last week I went to check on the food reserves at an apiary which is in the middle of a farm, well away from the public and I found some person has seen fit to place several large chunks of chocolate in the top of the hive above the insulation. Now the bees can't get to it but I feel it must be a person with some knowledge who knew they were not going to get a face full of bees when they removed the roof. I am very perplexed as to why someone would do this. I have set my wildlife camera up looking onto the apiary to see if they return. So what weird stuff have you found ?? :shock:
 #13572  by AdamD
 11 Apr 2023, 10:11
That's just crackers. Maybe the chocolate was put there on April 1st?
It will be interesting to see who goes back there if the camera works. My experience with wildlife cameras is that they either take loads of pictures of moving grass until the 8 batteries are flat - or nothing at all. Occasionally, however, there's the backside of a rabbit as it goes out of shot.
 #13575  by NigelP
 11 Apr 2023, 19:10
Weird place Teesside....stealing stores.....giving away chocolate. Someone seems to "know" where hives are being kept. I know "Steve's Bees" had queens removed from his hives near Wynyard a few years ago. It just gets weirder and weirder.
Good luck with the trail cam. I have lots and lots if blank night-time footage as the badgers move past my cam before it switches on.....and then see the evidence of them using my front lawn as their toilet.