BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• First inspection and putting the QE in

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #10348  by DryRedFrog
 22 Mar 2021, 19:00
Hey folks!

Am after some reassurance that I haven't buggered things up!

I overwintered my national hive with a full super on top, no QE. There's been plenty of action around the hive for about a month, lots of pollen going in etc. so today, given that it was nice and warm with no wind I went and had a look.

The super was fully drawn, with stores in the outer frames, eggs and a small amount of capped brood. There were a couple of capped drone cells and some drawn drone comb. There were plenty of bees and the hive seemed pretty full.

I found HM and put her into the brood box, then popped a QE on. So far so good I thought.

Now I'm worrying! I didn't check the brood box at all. Will the queen be ok down in the brood? I'm hoping the brood frames will have stores and brood, but I didn't actually look as I wanted to be as quick as possible.

Do I need to go back tomorrow?

Ta!
 #10357  by AdamD
 23 Mar 2021, 09:21
Picking up the queen is always a worry until you have done it plenty of times - so it seems like you have done what you needed and there is some sealed stores in the hive. As you say, so far so good. :) You can check stores levels at the next inspection; if they are flying well, then there should be some increase - you can check for liquid stores which means that they are bringing something in.
 #10374  by MickBBKA
 24 Mar 2021, 01:05
I rearranged 4 colonies at the weekend putting QE on and supers as most colonies now have nectar stored. Looking at the forecast I am glad I only done 4, it looks cold and windy for at least another week. No bees flying today. My earlier optimism looks a bit premature. Spring came and left in a week.
 #10380  by Patrick
 24 Mar 2021, 18:59
I never let my guard down Steve . I am the Inspector Clouseau of beekeeping (quite literally!). Not now, Cato!

I think we can be a bit keen to get in there as soon as possible. As long as they are alive and have grub, there is not much useful to do for a while yet around here. I did check a few last weekend - several seem a bit stores bound which is unexpected.