BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Replacing hive floor - how often?

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #10331  by Yorkbees84
 22 Mar 2021, 09:46
Hi All,

I was fully prepared to exchange my hive floor at the weekend for a brand new one. I had peeked under the hive a month back and could see lots of unmoving legs and bodies, so I was expecting the current one to have some debris and a number of dead bees and generally a requirement for clean-up. However, when I lifted the brood box I was stunned to find the mesh floor in pristine condition with just 1-2 recently dead bees on it. Well done bees! I swiftly moved the hive back into position. Now I've only had my bees for one year and they're doing exceptionally well (I think). I was under the impression replacing the floor was a recommended yearly activity but how often do people generally do this? Perhaps a yearly replacement isn't necessary or perhaps it's more of a case of being prepared to check and replace if need be, with the need maybe not arising at all... What are everyone's thoughts?
Thanks
 #10333  by Steve 1972
 22 Mar 2021, 10:11
Some of my floors have been on the same stands for years..I have only replaced any of them if they are knackered or need repairs..
 #10334  by Patrick
 22 Mar 2021, 10:30
Beekeeping lore often persist years after the original reason has been forgotten.

When everyone used old solid wood floors it was common to find encrusted debris, damp and mould on them come spring. Swapping them out, cleaning and blowtorching at the first opportunity was obviously sensible, similarly the brood boxes.

Better ventilation through using steel mesh floors now means most crud falls through them and mould is less common.

It certainly doesn’t do any harm to swap anyway. Having spare floors is always handy.
 #10336  by NigelP
 22 Mar 2021, 11:25
A lot depends on the bees cleansing habits some remove their winter dead some don't.
It's the ones that don't that need the floor cleaning or replacing.
Best taken on hive by hive basis.
 #10339  by Alfred
 22 Mar 2021, 12:12
If the hives have been treated with acetic or formica acid this can have a detrimental effect on the mesh so it's worth a check for that too