BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• My new bees

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #10289  by SuesBees
 18 Mar 2021, 18:07
My new bees are due in May and Bee Equipment are suggesting I might need syrup and/or bee nectar, to order so I don't pay 2 delivery costs. Is this just sales talk or do I need to get either or both and if so, how much?
I am VERY NEW and any advice would be welcomed.
 #10290  by Alfred
 18 Mar 2021, 20:46
By May there should be plenty of natural pollen around which is better than the substitutes on offer.
You will be able to easily make up your own syrup or fondant to supplement if required.
You may need a plastic rapid feeder for syrup if your hive hasn't already got one but you can get away with fondant for now, if necessary, and wait until autumn to get one.
Beware the vendors - they are very pushy with perpetual sales and snake oil gadgets.
Try not to fret too much ( and that's rich coming from me! :roll: )
I'm only just into my third year and as your confidence grows things become less of a challenge.
You're ( always,always) right to ask first but remember bees have been surviving on the planet since before we were amoeba- they're pretty good at it without our help ;)
 #10291  by Bobbysbees
 18 Mar 2021, 21:11
My last nuc came from them and did very well though they are a little feisty now they are in a double deep.
I only started last year and have never bought syrup. I did shell out for some pollen sub to make into patties and they take them down ok. I wouldnt bother puttying it out dry as the bees dont seem to bother with it .
This is only my second year and I'm totally hooked.
As Alfred says dont believe everything your told. Bees are pretty hardy . All you need to do is ask there are more than enough people out there willing to advise but best advice I can give is when you find a method for anything , if it works for you stick to it.
If you can find a local bee keeper by all mean ask them for help if you need it but just run everything through a common sense filter and dont get too bogged down with the details.
 #10296  by Chrisbarlow
 18 Mar 2021, 22:34
Feed syrup made from granulated sugar when they arrive . They'll build up much quicker

Don't bother with pollen
 #10299  by AdamD
 19 Mar 2021, 09:01
I agree with Chris - you will need a feeder which all beekeepers need. Syrup can be made easily with white sugar and hot water from the tap. (Hot just makes it easier for the sugar to dissolve). And don't be worried about getting the exact ratio correct between water and sugar.
 #10301  by SuesBees
 19 Mar 2021, 09:07
Thanks for all your advice. Now I'm really confused - syrup or no syrup! The main message is not to be talked into buying unnecessary things.
 #10302  by Patrick
 19 Mar 2021, 10:16
Hi Sue

People keep bees in many different ways, so their advice may vary.

To go back to your question. You do not need to buy syrup, you can make your own very easily and cheaply. Normally you would not feed bees in the summer period but you are wanting to build up a small colony quickly, get the queen laying strongly and drawing out lots of new combs in your hive. So steady feeding just whilst they get established may help. You should not need to continue feeding once they have got established and settled in.

Depending on the weather, come the Autumn,you will probably need to augment what they have brought in during the summer to tide them over winter, so a feeder will be necessary sooner or later anyway.

Hope that helps :D !
 #10306  by SuesBees
 20 Mar 2021, 13:50
Thank you , Patrick.
I think I am clearer about what to do about feeding in the early days when my bees arrive. Cant wait!
 #10308  by NigelP
 20 Mar 2021, 17:02
It can be very confusing initially.
As patrick says the best way to get them off to a good start is to feed sugar solution (also called syrup) to give them a flyer.
You might want to ask what type of nuc box they are going to arrive in as some of the poly nucs come compete with a feeder for sugar solution/syrup.
But if a travelling nuc it gets more complicated as they will need to be transfgered to either a "proper" nuc or a huive with dummy boards to restrict their space.
Have you got a hive ready to re-house them in?