BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Hive Placement. Shade in the winter. Advice appreciated.

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #10158  by Steve 1972
 03 Mar 2021, 20:57
Alfred wrote:
02 Mar 2021, 11:39
I was 50/50 on landing boards thinking that the benefits reaped would also be offered to wasps.
That is utter nonsense Alfred..only kept bees for a short while but i nailed the wasp problem pretty quickly in the early day's....and i still use my method now with big landing boards in place with tunnel entrances into each hive..to date over my time using them i have not had any issues with full colonies getting bothered with Wasps/Mice or anything else all through out the year and into winter... Nuc wise is a different kettle of fish.. :D
 #10160  by NigelP
 04 Mar 2021, 10:38
Spike wrote:
03 Mar 2021, 09:42
The Paynes poly floor has a monsterous landing board - much bigger than necessary.
Yes enormous landing board...and the boxes were oversized as well. Not compatible with any other National gear.....
That said, they were good poly hives, but alas their non-compatibility led me to sell off all of mine.
Now use only Abelo poly hives that are totally compatible with all my wooden national supers and other National bits I have left lying around.
No more getting to out apiary realising I didn't bring enough of the right hive parts with me.