BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Honey - How Much Faffing

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #10036  by MarkR
 19 Feb 2021, 16:11
Hi All,

I am a small scale hobbyist beekeeper, selling a few hundred jars a year.
Last week, I had an order for a couple of dozen jars. My remaining stock is sat in a cold room and the honey looks a bit cloudy (nothing too bad). Do I bung them in the oven (low heat) for a couple of hours to clear them? I know they will be going to a cold shop where they may well set anyway.

So I put them in the oven and they come out nice and clear....except some now have a film or "foam" layer on the top. Again, nothing too bad - but should I spend yet more time clearing off the film?

Is it worth doing the extra faffing? I've seen some jars for sale in shops that look awful.
 #10037  by Steve 1972
 19 Feb 2021, 17:41
There is a bit of a Taboo where heating honey is concerned but here is what i do when in the same situation as you..and it works well for me..
In previous years i used to put the jars in the honey warming cabinet and set the thermostat at 62 'C for 1hr this made it crystal clear however i still got the odd stubborn one that needed another 30 min's..i have recently been told by a knowledgeable forum member to warm the clouded honey to 50/52 'C for 24Hr's which i have done and all the jars in the warming cabinet came out perfect..
Regarding the layer of scum i would have to remove it not that i have had it happen..i know it is a faff on but if you lay a bit of cling film on the surface of the honey and gently peel it of all or most of the floating scum is removed and will look much more presentable..
Last edited by Steve 1972 on 19 Feb 2021, 18:35, edited 1 time in total.
 #10040  by NigelP
 19 Feb 2021, 18:24
My thoughts are simply it's your honey and hence your reputation.
How much faffing/care you take to produce a good produce that has customers coming back for more is up to you.
 #10041  by Alfred
 19 Feb 2021, 18:56
The cobblers shoes.
The general public is so pampered everything has to be aesthetically perfect or they think it's diseased
 #10043  by Patrick
 19 Feb 2021, 20:30
The clingfilm trick is a good one but obviously you need to check it’s still at weight afterwards. I’m not sure a few bubble on the surface is an issue but anything approaching froth I would attend to.

I too have seen what I consider poor examples of local honey for sale, occasionally with really amateur presentation. Personally I feel that undersells the time and considerable commitment that has gone into getting that honey to the shelf.
 #10044  by NigelP
 20 Feb 2021, 05:06
As the general public are your main customers then it's a good idea to sell them what they want rather than some cloudy scummy semi crystalline honey.
Just my 2 pennyworth.
 #10045  by MarkR
 20 Feb 2021, 10:16
Ok - I do end up spooning off any froth that might appear as it does not look good. The clingfilm idea is not really practical in a jar and pulls off too much honey.

I find 40 - 50'C for 2 - 3 hours does the job to clear. I would not leave it for 24 hours due to HMF concerns.
 #10046  by AdamD
 20 Feb 2021, 13:12
The time taken to get back to the runny state can depend on how quickly the honey heats up. A 20 kg bucket takes ages to heat through, as does a lot of jars closely packed in a warming cabinet with an insufficient heater. (Mine). Honey in a water bath heats through much more quickly.
 #10047  by Steve 1972
 20 Feb 2021, 13:25
Here is a batch i have done today and i used the same method as i stated in a previous reply..this was a set solid 32lb bucket of none OSR honey..the scum was removed from the surface with cling film and then put into jars...my warming cabinet is heated by a slow cooker with two 12v computer fans placed inside..it gets the job done pretty effectively..

#10049  by NigelP
 20 Feb 2021, 17:41
MarkR wrote:
20 Feb 2021, 10:16

I find 40 - 50'C for 2 - 3 hours does the job to clear. I would not leave it for 24 hours due to HMF concerns.
24 hours at 50C is absolutely fine regarding HMF levels which take between 4-10 days to rise to 30mg/kg at that temperature.
40mg/Kg is the critical level.
Interesting thing is this is not even toxic to humans but is to bees. HMF levels are solely used as a measure of the age/heating history of honey.
I melt all my honey at 50C for 24hours, this ensures there are no crystals left. Also because you are starting with a 30lb bucket of set honey it isn't held at 50C for 24 hours due to time for it to melt etc.