BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Looking for land to keep Bees. What is the Etiquette?

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #9918  by gwt_uk
 30 Jan 2021, 13:54
Hello all,

I currently keep bees on family
owned land but am looking for an apiary site closer to home. Is there any etiquette in approaching farmers and land owners etc. Should I send a letter with my contact details first? I have approached the local bee keeping association for help as well.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
 #9921  by Patrick
 30 Jan 2021, 17:41
Hi gwt

Personally I wouldn’t bother writing. Most farmers don’t have the time or inclination to proactively respond to unsolicited mail, however polite the intention.

Find the location and knock on a few doors to find who owns the land. Most locals will have an idea and probably some indication whether the approach will be welcomed or not. Then call them and explain what you are looking for (need and frequency of access etc) and offer to come and meet them, if they would like. You can but ask. Don’t be too offended or disheartened if they just say no. It won’t be personal, just they may not want the hassle of sorting it out and it’s often easier to just say No. Others will be fine with it.

If they are up for it, after I had met them and agreed a suitable spot I would personally offer a written undertaking of what you will and will not do, including (not necessarily labouring the point, but mentioning it) ensuring you retain ownership of the kit and any honey, and rental you are prepared to offer for their trouble. Traditionally that is an annual jar of honey per hive and always seems appreciated.

Most people don’t bother with the latter part and it’s all good for a shake of hands for years. But some out apiary arrangements between strangers can go sour for the weirdest of reasons and you both should be clear from the outset what you can expect from the arrangement. Good luck!
 #9927  by MickBBKA
 31 Jan 2021, 21:20
I have found the local farmers to be brilliant, just go and bang on the door ( watch out for the farm dogs ) My farmers just let me do what the hell I like, they are more than happy to put a fence around the hives if req, lend a quad or landrover. I can't praise them enough. Few jars of honey, bottle of Whiskey and Gin each and everyone is happy.
 #9928  by AdamD
 01 Feb 2021, 11:56
So you can buy yourself a bottle of whiskey or gin for every apiary site you own!
Excellent! :D

(Back garden, front garden, by the shed, behind the garage etc...).
 #9929  by AdamD
 01 Feb 2021, 12:00
Someone I see regularly had bees on her land and the verbal agreement was that the beekeeper would work with her and they would share the duties and the honey. Then the beekkeper came along and suddenly all the honey was gone and she was left with nothing apart from resentment. So it's worth being clear what each party expects.
 #9932  by Alfred
 01 Feb 2021, 12:42
AdamD wrote:
01 Feb 2021, 11:56
So you can buy yourself a bottle of whiskey or gin for every apiary site you own!
Excellent! :D

(Back garden, front garden, by the shed, behind the garage etc...).
That could be interpreted as any bee related item in any room so I'd better book up an AA meeting pronto
 #9933  by Patrick
 01 Feb 2021, 22:29
Now this is exactly why I joined this forum - sharing ideas and innovative thinking.

I reckon I could easily run my operation across quite a few more domestic locations and justify the purchase of at least a crate of whisky. Obviously being prime spots, they would justify single malt surely?

And snacks, let’s not forget snacks..👍