BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Changing fortunes

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #9737  by Alfred
 06 Jan 2021, 11:34
Just came back from a feed run(couldn't do anything else as it's bucketing with snow up there.
One colony(the ' village idiots) were on Sunday still clustered down to a grapefruit size and gazing folornly at me through the perspex.
This morning they're doubled in size, on the top bars attacking the fondant like a pack of wild dogs.
Conversely another colony has taken a big step back.
Another lot has grown exponentially and seem to think it's mid-July- if the sun is shining they're orienting and out on forage flights while the remainder are just ticking over.
 #9738  by Chrisbarlow
 06 Jan 2021, 11:57
No accounting for breeding.

Difference between one strain over another , even on mongrels certain traits come out.
 #9746  by MickBBKA
 07 Jan 2021, 01:28
Very true. I have a colony that at 3C as long as there is no strong wind they are out foraging for something.
Its never got above about 6C this last week but having checked all my colonies none of them are clustered and all are roaming about the frames. So much for BBKA ideology about when bees cluster. Very few dead bees on the floor either so far even on the double brood colonies. But like Covid, it ain't over yet !!

Cheers, Mick.