BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Honeybee nest in house - structural damage?

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #9342  by KateWilson
 25 Oct 2020, 14:03
Hello,

I’ve been searching lots of forums but struggling to find an answer so very grateful for any advice.

What happens if a honeybee nest somewhere in the structure of a house is left alone? Will it cause structural damage? Secondly, what would happen if the landlord sealed the entrance to the nest without removing the honeycomb/dormant bees?

The entire side of the roof on an extension was never finished or sealed, allowing rain to get in, so it all needs sealing up to make it water tight. But honeybees have nested too, so will get sealed in. I’m assuming they’re dormant and still in there.

I will note that this is a rented property. We would get them professionally removed if it was up to us, due to worry of future damage and not wanting to kill them.

The landlord wants to kill them. But if she was to get them killed, without removing the honeycomb, then seal it all up, would this cause future problems?

I’ve read in America that a particular species of moth can move in which then chew through wood etc causing all sorts of damage. Is this the case in the uk?

Any advice hugely appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Kate
 #9343  by huntsman.
 25 Oct 2020, 16:28
Hello Kate.

Nice to see that you would like to save these bees.

So let's go through your message where you say:-

<What happens if a honeybee nest somewhere in the structure of a house is left alone?>

They could be there for many years with the queen being replaced every few years. However they may die out from natural causes as they will not be treated for honeybee problems.

<Will it cause structural damage?>

No, once the comb is not blocking any air vents.

< what would happen if the landlord sealed the entrance to the nest without removing the honeycomb/dormant bees?>

If they they don't find an alternative way out, they will die.

<I’m assuming they’re dormant and still in there.>

Interesting comment. Perhaps they have gone as you should still see a few bees flying. Honeybees don't go dormant but they do become more and more less active as the weather hardens.

< We would get them professionally removed if it was up to us, due to worry of future damage and not wanting to kill them.>

Bad time of the year to remove such a colony. Little chance of surviving.

<The landlord wants to kill them. But if she was to get them killed, without removing the honeycomb, then seal it all up, would this cause future problems?>

As you say there is still some work to be carried out. Not nice for workmen to have bees in their work area.
Any remaining comb can be easily removed but some left will cause no damage.
Main point, it's her property and her public liability for these bees.

<I’ve read in America that a particular species of moth can move in which then chew through wood etc causing all sorts of damage. Is this the case in the uk?>

Wax moths are obviously attracted to wax but will cause no damage to structural timbers.

In summary, I would get rid of them.

Hope this is of help.
 #9345  by NigelP
 25 Oct 2020, 17:00
The question I would be asking is how sure are you they were Honey bees? Often bumble bees get mistaken for honey bees. What made you think they were honey bees?
If Bumble bees, quite safe t to seal everything up; as unlike honey bees; the colonies die off late summer /autumn and the queens hibernate.
 #9346  by AdamD
 25 Oct 2020, 17:08
Bees don't chew or damage a house, so can co-exist with us quite well!
If the colony (assuming it is honeybees) is sadly destroyed, the nest does need to be sealed up or othr bees can rob the honeybee nest of honey (now the guard bees are dead) and then take poison back to their own nest with is not at all desirable. If the colony is acessible (not often that it is) then the best time to remove it is in spring rather than now, if you can wait that long!
 #9354  by Ian123
 26 Oct 2020, 18:08
As above bees won’t damage the structure of the house at the worse you could get a stain on a ceiling. Pest control costs a fortune as if any poisons are used most companies now want to remove any treated combs inside the building due to a poisoning incident some years ago. It’s really quite an impossible task to seal up a building so it’s bee proof. I would suggest there’s an even chance they’ll not see out the winter, so would leave well alone unless the location proves to be a nuisance. Be on the ball though as if they do die out over winter an attempt should be made to seal up the entrance/area used as a new swarm is very likely to take up residence.
 #9356  by KateWilson
 26 Oct 2020, 18:54
Thank you all for taking the time to reply. It’s good to know that they generally won’t cause any structural damage. Though I will let the land lady know there’s a chance she mind end up with a stain on the wall if she seals it up with out removing the nest. Thank you again for your time.