BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Compulsory Registration - Can it be far off?

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #9191  by Bobbysbees
 12 Oct 2020, 17:07
Hi guys...and Andrew.
Just to clarify thing ie. "We recently had a post on the forum from one such person who clearly thought little of traditional beekeeping methods (and beekeepers it seemed) although at the same time they saw the forum as useful to get answer". This refers to me btw.
Surely seeking answers to questions you have on any subject, is a good thing?
I was taught its better to ask a question or seek answers through what ever means of research than to bumble on blindly in ignorance. If you read my posts im sure all of you can find holes in my knowledge. Probably some gaping ones.
That said, i believe the best way of learning is to get hands on. In current times doing so at your local club or at a course just isnt a viable option. So, people such as myself have to resort to forums, youtube vids, books and the like.
Im not embraced by saying im a beginner.
Nor im i convinced that i should be. But if you have no beginners and no one showing interest in a pursuit that pursuit will die out.
A lot of people are put of by paper work, legislation and regulation. I for one am for sure. But at the same time i log all my activities with my bees on an App rather than in a ledger.
People make mistakes when learning new things. Yes it is easy to say "you should of known better " but thats not really very helpful as an approach.
Surely someone bumping along doing the best they can to take care of a few hives, is better than no one giving a monkeys about pollinators and sitting back thinking its someone elses problem.
Times are changing science is changing our understanding of the connectivity in nature is changing. To assume that beekeeping wont change also, is just foolish.
I considered registering. That is why i looked up the BBKA. Where i learned about beebase. But due to a few factors, my own privacy , a lack of skills in social situations and not least the bullish bullying "father knows best attitude i have been greeted with by A FEW by no means all. I personally will give it a miss for now thanks.
 #9192  by Steve 1972
 12 Oct 2020, 17:31
huntsman. wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 15:03
Steve; <I find your comment rather pathetic..>

Isn't that strange, for I find your English syntax rather pathetic.
I don't give a flying (F) what you think of my syntax or what other garbage spills from your orifice..you are a prat on here just like the other forum where you ridicule so many for no other reason but to try and satisfy your false ego..
 #9194  by NigelP
 12 Oct 2020, 17:54
Me sees an aka Jenkins brynwhatever in disguise. How sad to have this disrupt what is a normally a civil forum and free exchange of ideas.
Guess it's over to you admin.
 #9195  by AndrewLD
 12 Oct 2020, 17:56
Bobbysbees wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 17:07
Hi guys...and Andrew.
Just to clarify thing ie. "We recently had a post on the forum from one such person who clearly thought little of traditional beekeeping methods (and beekeepers it seemed) although at the same time they saw the forum as useful to get answer". This refers to me btw.
Surely seeking answers to questions you have on any subject, is a good thing?
I was taught its better to ask a question or seek answers through what ever means of research than to bumble on blindly in ignorance. If you read my posts im sure all of you can find holes in my knowledge. Probably some gaping ones.
That said, i believe the best way of learning is to get hands on. In current times doing so at your local club or at a course just isnt a viable option. So, people such as myself have to resort to forums, youtube vids, books and the like.
Im not embraced by saying im a beginner.
Nor im i convinced that i should be. But if you have no beginners and no one showing interest in a pursuit that pursuit will die out.
A lot of people are put of by paper work, legislation and regulation. I for one am for sure. But at the same time i log all my activities with my bees on an App rather than in a ledger.
People make mistakes when learning new things. Yes it is easy to say "you should of known better " but thats not really very helpful as an approach.
Surely someone bumping along doing the best they can to take care of a few hives, is better than no one giving a monkeys about pollinators and sitting back thinking its someone elses problem.
Times are changing science is changing our understanding of the connectivity in nature is changing. To assume that beekeeping wont change also, is just foolish.
I considered registering. That is why i looked up the BBKA. Where i learned about beebase. But due to a few factors, my own privacy , a lack of skills in social situations and not least the bullish bullying "father knows best attitude i have been greeted with by A FEW by no means all. I personally will give it a miss for now thanks.
Bobbybees - this is why I raised this as a separate topic, to get away from the personal and into the wider perspective about how we can adapt not just to you but to a wider problem that has been highlighted elsewhere. The problem is you just don't see that your beekeeping can be a problem (that is putting it mildly). Yes, you have highlighted for me a problem reported by others. Should I dissect your posts step by step? Not helpful and I just don't think you are listening, not just to me but anyone. Should I pick out your statements that indicate your bias - no, I know a lost cause when I see it. There is no reason why you should not approach your local association for help -COVID is no excuse. That you do not is down to no-one but you.
 #9196  by huntsman.
to NigelP;

How pathetic!

You are one of two here with VERY fixed minds on how to become a proper beekeeper. Something akin to throwing a child into the water to see if they can swim. Cruel and usually unsuccessful, made even worse if you cannot swim yourself.

Don't accuse me of being some other poster, very silly of you.
Last edited by huntsman. on 12 Oct 2020, 18:27, edited 2 times in total.
 #9197  by Bobbysbees
 12 Oct 2020, 18:17
Im glad you feel im a problem that needs solving. Its something we agree on, even if it is for different reasons.
Im a beginner seeking help and advice.
Where as clearly you are an expert in your field. With valuable years of experience you feel uninclined to share with us piffeling mere mortals. As we are too uneducated to comprehend the vastness of your skills and knowledge base.
I wonder what excuse you have?
Last edited by Bobbysbees on 12 Oct 2020, 18:36, edited 1 time in total.
 #9198  by Chrisbarlow
 12 Oct 2020, 18:31
I think how you get into beekeeping can be different depending on the beekeeper.

I'm a firm believer that some folk just need to get bees and get on with beekeeping without a course, some people fly, others do not.

Same as getting a course. Some folk certainly benefit from a course and others, it just spoils what otherwise would have been a good beekeeper if only given some mentorship or diligent online reading and viewing.

Today unlike any other age we have access to unlimited online learning resources, many benefit from this , many do not. This in itself negates the need for associations today unlike say twenty years ago.

Associations can have extreme views which again depending on the individual concerned is some times good, sometimes bad. Associations certainly have a massive role in training new beekeepers

People tend to look at things from their own fixed views and tend to fail to understand how different we are as individuals. There certainly is no one fixed answer to all. This is not a new issue either.

I never did a course btw. I'm quite thankful for that
 #9199  by AndrewLD
 12 Oct 2020, 18:40
Bobbysbees wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 18:17
Im glad you feel im a problem than needs solving. Its something we agree on, even if it is for different reasons.
Im a beginner seeking help and advice.
Where as clearly you are an expert in your field. With valuable years of experience you feel uninclined to share with us piffeling mere mortals. As we are too uneducated to comprehend the vastness of your skills and knowledge base.
I wonder what excuse you have?
Bobbybees - I said your beekeeping is the problem but yes, it could be just be down to you; only it isn't - read the article (you are not a member? OK but you are missing out there). Your posts, including your last post on the Beginners Forum, indicate that you need help and this is the forum to come to for that help. But I cannot help you. I have invested many hours and not a little effort/money in helping beginners but I won't help someone who spits in my face. There are many good people with the patience to do that, but I am not one of them. Good luck with your beekeeping.
 #9201  by NigelP
 12 Oct 2020, 19:09
huntsman. wrote:
How pathetic!

You are one of two here with VERY fixed minds on how to become a proper beekeeper.
Going to be a very long winter. ........
Fixed mind...I doubt that very much, but you are welcome to your opinion.
But before you go much further.... why not define what you think a "proper beekeeper" is?
To my mind there is no such thing, it all depends on what each individual wants from their beekeeping. There are many ways to achieve this.