British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Double brood

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #9188  by AndrewLD
 12 Oct 2020, 15:31
NigelP wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 12:59
My bees must not have read Andrews books as still emptied their rapid feeders overnight and it was 4C here last night in North Yorkshire, it was their last top up feed of the year (I hope), although I have fed syrup into Nov on one colony that was determined to turn all the feed into bees instead of stores.
My books have nothing to do with it, anyway didn't you say bees can't read - my bees stopped taking the syrup down several days ago and some hives are far from nailed down. I am waiting for a nice day to take off the feeders and then as I am sure you expect for a "Southern" beekeeper I'll switch on their central heating :D
 #9189  by NigelP
 12 Oct 2020, 15:58
It's possibly due to mine being in poly hives which are warm and toasty, so bees still at it :)
 #9190  by AndrewLD
 12 Oct 2020, 16:46
and mine are in the best Western Red Cedar (note- best wood for hives) toastily wrapped in a sealed cell mat with an insulation board above the feeder (in a desperate effort to warm the syrup and get it taken down - and it keeps the wood dry so thermal values are up).
Now if you were keeping real Yorkshire bees and not the fancy stuff - could they not overwinter in a cardboard box?
(But I wouldn't wish to take this gentle ribbing too far - they are all bees and I do jest).
 #9200  by Chrisbarlow
 12 Oct 2020, 18:45
NigelP wrote:
12 Oct 2020, 15:58
It's possibly due to mine being in poly hives which are warm and toasty, so bees still at it :)
I have done poly miller feeders and some plastic rapid feeders.

They keep taking syrup longer from poly miller's feeders over plastic rapid feeders
 #9213  by Barney
 13 Oct 2020, 18:05
Thankyou all so much,I am really grateful for the advice.
I checked them today,I took the supers off and felt the weight of the brood and a half,and it was very heavy,I could also see the top frames looking very full and capped.
SO... as it was a lovely day,I took off the top super and left the other full one,I think I will go back when they arent so busy and remove it very quickly,I felt the bees were to busy today to remove both as there was quite a lot in the supers.
Thankyou all again,you guys seem a lot more helpful than other groups I have been on and I really appreciate it,I love my bees and try my best to work with them😅😅even if it gets a little stressful at times!