BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Bee population..still high!

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #8704  by Yorkbees84
 01 Sep 2020, 11:27
Hi All

I've now removed my honey supers and applied Apilife Var in the brood box. However, I'm concerned that my bees have little space now, even with the extra space I've created to accommodate a rapid feeder. Today there are loads clustering outside the entrance and I can only assume it's due to overheating and/or not enough space. I thought that by now populations should be reducing, but having done an inspection yesterday, my hive is still rammed! What are everyone's thoughts on this out of interest? I couldn't leave the supers any longer as I needed to start medicating but the size reduction seems to be at odds with what I'm observing... (P.S I'm also using a 14 x12).
Thanks
(new beekeeper so friendly comments only please!).
 #8705  by NigelP
 01 Sep 2020, 13:05
I would extract ASAP from your supers and place the "wet" supers beneath your brood box (nadired) with no queen excluder. That will give them space and will clean up your frames.
If you aren't planning on extracting immediately I'd add back any empty supers you have in the same way.
 #8706  by Chrisbarlow
 01 Sep 2020, 13:19
I agree with Nigel.

My colonies and nucs are all looking strong but in some apiaries they are low on stores.

I did see yesterday a drone being dragged out of a colony. Real sign of the impending winter
 #8708  by nealh
 01 Sep 2020, 17:23
If they need space then they need space, nadir or super. If you have good ivy around you then you may get a super full to come in the next several weeks.
 #8713  by AdamD
 01 Sep 2020, 18:33
Only friendly comments here!
I'd be surprised if a colony needs more space if it's in a 14 x 12. The Apilife Var could well be driving them out.
 #8714  by Patrick
 02 Sep 2020, 05:27
I’d also be surprised it was a space issue. I have never used Apilife Var but certainly other treatments often result in bees sitting it out initially on the outside of the box until the initial sublimation subsides and they become more acclimatised.

Also at the moment the wasps and other bees are really in robbing mood, so a lot of guard bees seem to be hanging around entrances to repel boarders.

I personally would let them be and I reckon you will find they settle down in a few days. Tell us how you get on with the Apilife Var, I for one would be very interested.
 #8716  by Yorkbees84
 02 Sep 2020, 11:50
Thanks All,

I can confirm my supers are all off now and did this prior to adding the ApiLife. I'll let you know how the Apilife Var goes. I've already noticed it taking an effect with some mite drop already on my removable correx sheet. If they're still looking short on space in a week, I'll give them a super beneath the brood box. Good shout.
 #8719  by Steve 1972
 02 Sep 2020, 17:51
AdamD wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 18:33
Only friendly comments here!
I'd be surprised if a colony needs more space if it's in a 14 x 12. The Apilife Var could well be driving them out.
I have used Apilife var once and never again..the bees went ballistic when i first applied it to the top bars and the roar in the hives was like the air con had been switched on..over the next two weeks i seen more dead young brood of all stages on the inspection trays that i would ever wish to see ..never again will i ever use that stuff ..
 #8731  by NigelP
 03 Sep 2020, 19:18
I think with these treatments a lot depends on time of year applied, ambient temperatures and colony size. Like MAQ's some have them work fine some have horror stories of what happened.
Me....I don't like to gamble on unknowns....I use what I know works for me and causes no potential problems....It's not apilifevar of MAQ's.....