BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Maqs

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #8631  by thewoodgatherer
 27 Aug 2020, 16:57
Well having paid the money and bought the product I have put it onto the hive with the highest varroa load (no DWV or CBPV but noticeable phoresy started to be observed on bees during inspection) and followed the instructions to the letter other than to leave the OMF open. Since fitting early this morning the temperature is down to about 13 and we have wet stormy weather. As this hive is a good 20m from the rest of the apiary I intend to see how things go and treat the others within the next week or so. I apricate your supposed to treat together but given the distances between and current bad weather drifting is going to be minimal. If I notice anything drastic I will report back ;)
 #8632  by AdamD
 27 Aug 2020, 17:11
One of the questions I have with MAQS is that you are not supposed to put it on if the temperature is too high which is fair enough. However if you put MAQS between two brood boxes which both have brood in, then the temperature is 35 degrees - which is too high for MAQS perhaps? Also if the queen is trapped above the MAQS, does this do her harm - would she be better below the stuff so she can get near the entrance for a spiracle or two of fresh air? Just a thought!
 #8647  by AndrewLD
 28 Aug 2020, 12:42
NigelP wrote:
27 Aug 2020, 15:33
Yup, you've got it. I was replying to the previous post of Woodgatherers where he talked about using Apiguard and Apilife var, both utilise Thymol.
What made you think I might be implying that MAQs was also thymol based?
[/quote]
I didn't think you were implying that but the original post was about MAQ's and that wasn't mentioned for a couple of posts when we started on thymol. With many more viewers that just the posters, I thought it might be useful to clarify for those who only read the topic title and the last post - a sign of the times......
 #8648  by NigelP
 28 Aug 2020, 12:47
AndrewLD wrote:
28 Aug 2020, 12:42
thought it might be useful to clarify for those who only read the topic title and the last post - a sign of the times......
Intriguing, how do you know that people do this?
 #8654  by AndrewLD
 28 Aug 2020, 14:36
I think we are getting off-piste here but have you not noticed how every TV programme is now in bite-size chunks with constant reminders of what was said only minutes before; never mind the re-introduction after every commercial. Attention spans are short these days - sorry what was it you asked?
Then there are e-mails - no one reads e-mails longer than a couple of lines and even then they are scan-read so 50% don't get what it is actually saying.
There's a whole fraud industry built up based on no-one reading the small print....

How many times do people repeat what is already in the thread? Are they agreeing with what someone has said or have they just not read it - the latter I'm afraid.

Are beekeepers different - No!
 #8683  by Alfred
 30 Aug 2020, 16:55
I used maqs this time last year
Followed instructions eg super with empty frames on top ,Patterson ventilators under the crown board,half dose for small clusters.
I got away with it with all but one colony surviving intact.
The exception was a six seam in a nuc with just one pad applied but it still pickled them all to death.
To expensive for the hobbyist and too risky for the beginner.
Vaping this time......
 #8692  by thewoodgatherer
 31 Aug 2020, 09:49
Well I have put this on just 3 of my hives with the higher Varroa load , one full dose and two at half dose, all with full width ventilation and inspection boards in as per instructions. Temperatures this week are late teens/maybe 20 later. The hive with the full dose is a WBC so I left the board out for two days. For your interest I will report back ;)