BBKA Forum

British Beekeepers Association Official Forum 

• Propolis allergy

• General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
General Q&A, Bee chat and only Bee chat please
 #8510  by thewoodgatherer
 16 Aug 2020, 08:50
I have had some allergic reactions this year and initially thought it was bee sting related but that was ruled out. Finally I think I have found the culprit to be propolis, obviously if I wear gloves etc this is not an issues but as you all know plenty of opportunities to come into contact with the stuff as a beekeeper. Just wondering if anyone else has issues, I get itchy red patches on my fingers with the skin becoming thin and sensitive, also if I though my face or worse still rub my eyes I’m in trouble.
 #8511  by Patrick
 16 Aug 2020, 09:41
B****r! Bad luck chap.

Only practical suggestions I can think of is to make sure your nitriles are the long cuff type and routinely double gloving in the event the outer pair split or tear.

If you have an unzippable suit fencing style hood, you could simply drop that over your head when cleaning frames etc to act as a physical stop in case you absent mindedly try and touch your face etc. Have at least two hive tools and have a plastic tub of strong washing soda to keep hive tool in to prevent build up.

Depending on how sensitive your allergy is, it might be worth always washing your beesuit on its own and keeping anything bee related in a dedicated “dirty area” rather than all over the shop like I do. Although none of us are fans of single use throwaway stuff nowadays, there may be an occasional role for a pack of disposable paper overalls to wear when extracting etc. Take particular care when taking your kit off (oooer!) that your outer gloves come off first and your inner gloves come off last.

You never know Woodgatherer, you could turn this to your advantage as a great reason to become a tidy, organised, clean and bio secure beekeeper :) Best of luck chap
 #8513  by huntsman.
 16 Aug 2020, 12:15
Thewoodgatherer.

Perhaps you might consider a 'hand barrier cream,' of which there are many types.

If you can find one which is also suitable for your face, so much the better. You may want one that washes off after your task is finished.

Many types are available over the web or from your local engineering/DIY providers. IMO 'engineering' grade should be the best.

Hope this doesn't bother your bees and it helps you have more enjoyable beekeeping.
 #8521  by thewoodgatherer
 17 Aug 2020, 07:59
Thanks for all your reply’s, I do like the barrier cream idea, I like to work gloveless as much as possible and the problem is the propolis getting ingrained into my hands and the not washing off 100%, by the following morning my hands are red and inflamed and if I have touched my face or worse still eyes I’m in big trouble. I have always thought of propolis as a natural healer but reading it’s constituents closely, it does contain a number of strong allergens. I’m a service engineer and work with all sorts of chemicals, solvents and oils and have never had an issue with any. Giving up beekeeping is a no go, so it’s barrier cream or gloves in the future ;)
 #9052  by Beeblebrox
 01 Oct 2020, 16:08
I know one other beekeeper who has developed an allergy to propolis. I think he uses latex gloves when it gets bad.

I have been contacted by one random person who bought throat tincture of propolis from a herbalist or something which made her throat worse, and she wanted the opinion of a beekeeper. I explained propolis can be gathered from at least 200 different plants in the UK alone so you don't know what you're getting...

So yes, your propolis allergy is not unique.
 #9059  by AdamD
 02 Oct 2020, 14:55
Propolis can do "good things" we are told, however as we cannot be sure what's in it, it's difficult to put it in a bottle and make claims on it's efficacy for a particular health issue as it could be either beneficial or the opposite in equal measure.

(However if you look at some pharmacutical products the leaflet within the packet says they can cause "high blood pressure/low blood pressure; high anxiety or low mood; neck rash or pale skin" etc etc).

I have some saved propolis but I don't know whether to swallow it, rub it on or just throw it away!
 #9060  by NigelP
 02 Oct 2020, 16:54
AdamD wrote:
02 Oct 2020, 14:55
the leaflet within the packet says they can cause "high blood pressure/low blood pressure; high anxiety or low mood; neck rash or pale skin" etc etc).

Bit like beekeeping :D Perhaps it should also come with a warning on the packet.
 #9120  by thewoodgatherer
 07 Oct 2020, 22:04
Well I thought I would update you all, the allergic reaction i had earlier in the year has slowly subsided and I'm now not sure about the whole thing. I still think it could be the propolis but only some of it(maybe one or two hives) and also whatever was in it has slowly gone or become less allergic. I'm back without my gloves again and not getting any reaction. At its worse i was getting contact dermatitis on my hands, having touched my face adjusting my glasses I ended up a few times with puffy eyes and hives all over my face and head which after a few days would weep and peel. I'm 99% it was related to the beekeeping but i have ruled out stings and washing soda etc.
It could be one or more hives were making propolis using something I'm quite allergic to and once the buds had finished in the spring the levels in the propolis within the hives slowly dropped off over the summer :?: